on 14 February 2006
An amazingly yummy book, just oozing with all the 'bad' stuff - sugar,butter,cream...but oh so very yummy! Real recipes for real indulgence. An absolute must.There are also lovely homey annecdotes and very useful practical advice.All the recipes are easy to follow and work perfectly. You are guaranteed to receive lavish compliments.
The only very minor downside is the measuring system if you dont have US cups, but you can get a conversion chart off the net for accuracy. Equally corn syrup isnt easily available in the UK. It can be substituted with a sugar syrup made with 1-1/4 cups sugar and 1/3 cup water, boiled together until syrupy. If your recipe calls for dark corn syrup, add a dash of dark treacle to the basic sugar syrup.
22 Comments| 119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 July 2003
I have had this book only a couple of weeks and i've already tried about five of the recipes. If you dont have any american measuring cups its worth buying a set just so you can use this book. I found the recipes very easy to follow, and the layout of the book old fashioned and charming. All of the recipes i tried worked out great, apart from one, and i think that was a botch on my part. I will most certainly consider buying another book by the same author. The only problem i had was finding 'corn syrup'in this country, which is included in a few of the recipes.
55 Comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 August 2007
I bought this book and the Buttercup Bake Shop one about 2 weeks ago but have only just got around to making things. I chose the Caramel Pecan Cheesecake and the Vanilla Birthday cake which you can use for fairy cakes or a big cake. I made fairy cakes.

The recipes are sooo easy to follow. I was a little confused with the cheesecake one tho', it says to leave the cheesecake to cool down for an hour in the oven, holding the door open with a wooden spoon, which I did, and then put it into the fridge for 12 hours.

I was always always told by my mum not to put food that's still warm in the fridge but I did it anyway with this Cheesecake because it didn't say otherwise, and it's turned out really well.

When I decided to make these things, I quickly checked up on my ingredients and went off and bought what I thought would surely be enough, based on British recipes you see, I honestly didn't think there would be that much diffence between the UK & US measurements. Turned out my estimate for the cream cheese was waaaaay off, I bought 3 200g tubs and in the end needed nearly 1kg and as for the icing on the fairy cakes,......HOW much?!!!,....I had a little bit left in the cupboard and thought I'd buy a 1kg bag of Icing sugar so I would have some left for future cakes.

After sitting down and working out how much 8 cups were, after I'd bought the sugar,......It worked out to be 1.8kg of Icing sugar!!!!!! I had to improvise and half the quantities and I'm glad I did. I made 23 fairy cakes and the halved icing (900g Icing Sugar, 110g Butter, 1/2 cup of milk, tspn Vanilla Essence)made enough to cover them twice over. Looking at the cakes now, it's at least 50/50 cake/Icing. Can you imagine what they'd have been like had I made the full amount?!

Overall, the books are fabulous, the recipes are so easy to follow and they are divine. The cakes taste lovely, properly American if you get me?

I would recommend them to anyone but personally I'll be keeping these recipes as special occassion jobbies!

Oh, and one other thing, get yourself a set of US measuring cups. I had to keep Delia's website up on the computer the whole time I was baking so I could convert!.
33 Comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 November 2003
I live in New York right down the street from the Magnolia Bakery and every time I select a recepie from the book, it has yielded delicious results. Just like the real thing, it's a great book to have for one of the best bakeries in the city! Highly reccomend the book and going to new york just to eat there!
on 11 June 2002
Magnolia Bakery has a cult following in New York. Ask anyone who lives in the Village - people flock to hang out at this delightful little bakery and eat cupcakes and other treats. The joy of being able to replicate their otherworldly hummingbird cake, or coconut cake, is worth the effort in translating the measurements...
on 16 April 2005
I have really enjoyed using this book because the recipes are so simple to follow and the results are delicious! I've tried Chocolate Cookies with Heath Bars, Vanilla Chips and Pecans, the Peanut Butter Cookies, and the Fudge Brownies. So far, everything has turned out amazingly good. My colleagues at work say my goodies look like they've come right out of a cafe.
The only downside about the book is the amount of butter and sugar in the recipes. Yes, it tastes wonderfully yummy, but if you are on a diet, stay away from this book!
on 24 September 2003
This book gives a wonderful insight into old fashioned american baking. I find the american cup measuring system extremely easy to use. The recipes are almost foolproof and I haven't yet made anything from the book that has not been delicious. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in american style baking and particularly recommend you try the cupcakes, maple walnut cake, breakfast buns and orange vanilla chip cookies.
on 9 April 2007
I purchased this book fairly recently. The Cake recipes sound just wonderful! I decided to make the Hummingbird Cake which was a 'breeze' I then turned to the Cream Cheese icing, which is described as not too sweet, perfect for the Hummingbird cake. Not too sweet, 5 cups of confectioners sugar (icing sugar) just for one 2 layer 9" Cake? I went ahead and made it anyway, sooo sweet, I was asked if I had poured condensed milk over the cake? Maybe I made a mistake. I followed instructions very carefully.

It may sound as though I'm being overly critical, I hope not.

I will try other recipes from this book, as they are very inviting, in future I will add sugar to the icing/frosting recipes to taste!
on 12 February 2007
I bought both this book and the follow-up ("More from Magnolia") as a Christmas present to myself, and I haven't stopped baking since! The recipes are very easy to follow and once you get the hang of things it's really fun to mix and match - I've taken to combining recipes from both books to get the results I want. Apple cake (from book two) frosted with Caramel Cream Cheese Icing (from book one) was a huge hit at my boyfriend's birthday party.

It's definitely not for those on a diet - I was initially shocked at the amount of butter and sugar each recipe calls for - but if old-fashioned American baking is what you crave, then this is the book for you!
on 6 July 2003
The recipes in this book are fantastic and absolutely delicious, from the best cup-cakes you'll ever taste to wickedly good biscuits and brownies. However, the book uses American measurements, with no coversion tables anywhere. For example, butter is measured in 'sticks' and pretty much all other ingredients in US cups. Please don't let this put you off though - the conversions might be a bit of a hassle, but the results FAR, FAR outweigh any inconvenience!