on 30 December 2007
Sure, lots of celebs enter extremely late middle age as well preserved national treasures; few do so on their own terms. Ian Kilmister--boomer, Capricorn, sometime loudest man on the planet--has lived his life like that Jimi Hendrix song: 'let me live my life, the way I want to'. Superficially, that might seem to add up to forty years of professional excess and little more, but as this work shows, it is actually a case-study in what it meant to grow up working class in the North of England immediately after the war. Nobody did a damn thing for him; he carved out what he did, despite a business that has ignored him, mispackaged him and exploited him pretty much since day 2.
Superficially, the book is about sex, drugs and the rest of it; in reality, its about the way in which popular culture has provoked profound social change in the UK and what it means to live through that social experiment--to live your life as an individual in an increasingly collective society.
Lemmy is at pains to emphasize that this is a life that has worked for him but would not work for everyone. He's quite happy to acknowledge that his libertarian views can translate into some un-PC attitudes--and mostly he's just *happy*, which is quite an accomplishment. Ever notice how successful people tend to be like elephants, reciting every grievance and every professional slight--despite a career full of them, Mr. Kilmister remains philosophical and phlegmatic about being thrown out of Hawkwind, the debacle of 'Another Perfect Day' and getting tossed aside by more record labels than he's had Malboros.
To repeat, this is neither philosophy nor literature, but if you want to know why folk like Dave Grohl seek out Lemmy to work with, then listen to 'Damage Case', read this book and you shall have insight.
on 4 January 2016
Brilliant. Awesome. Inspiring. A wonderful insight into the life and career of a true rock and roll icon. And that's from someone who has admired this man from a distance over the years, but wouldn't be considered a die hard fan. In my younger days, I was a die hard Gary Numan fan. Still am to some extent, but my musical taste is much more diverse now than it was back then.

When I heard on the radio that Lemmy had died, I was gutted. The world has lost someone very special, and he will be missed very much, but his legacy will live forever in the music he has created for us through his time here.
I bought this ebook on a whim the day I heard of his passing, along with his last album Bad Magic, and am delighted I did. I highly recommend all fans to read it, and even more so those people who don't think of themselves as fans. It's a real insight into a way of life that most of us can only dream about.
I'm off to buy more Motorhead music, and to wish Mr Kilmister all the very best in the next life.
RIP Lemmy, you're a real trooper.
on 18 September 2003
Lemmy is the kind of rock star that makes you proud to be British. He doesn't take himself too seriously, he just wants to play in a rock and roll band and get laid after the show. In this book (called an autobiography, but it reads like an interview) he recounts his long career in rock, powered by amphetamines and bourbon, and it is a risible ride indeed. Stories of drink-and-drug-induced foolishness abound, along with interesting pen sketches of his fellow band members over the years. I laughed out loud a lot whilst reading this book, you know you're always going to have a good time, all the time, with Motorhead.
It's the life that you're glad somebody led, just to prove that it can be done.
on 15 April 2014
I've never been a die hard Motorhead fan, but I've been aware of them and heard their albums at friends' houses since the late seventies, and of course I bought the Ace of Spades album in 1980 like we all did. I am a big Hawkwind fan, and I really only bought the book to read Lemmy's side of his stint with Hawkwind. However I did enjoy the whole book, though the anecdotes get less interesting as we get into the last decade of Motorhead's existance.

The book is really just "the world according to Lemmy", and if you don't agree with Lemmy's views on life this is rapidly going to grate. But I think most people who were rock fans before MTV, and are therefore now middle aged rock fans, will find a lot in the book that they agree with, and of course it's a massive nostalgia fest. What the MTV generation will make of it I don't know. I've just finished Duff McKagan's autobiography, and I have to say I enjoyed Lemmy's book a lot more. If you are, like me, a middle aged rock fan wishing he still had the energy to get down the front then I think you'll love the book and it's well worth the £4.99 I paid for the Kindle version.
on 26 December 2015
One of the best autobiographies by a rock icon you will ever read, the influence this man has made in music is beyond repute he is the Elvis of our age he is the last remaining gentleman of rock/heavy metal/thrash call it what you will when he has gone rock will be truly and utterly dead, there are no lies in this book its all on the line the wit and humour in which he recalls his time on this earth to the point in his life so far is just a pure joy, this is Lemmy at his best (if that is possible he is like a fine wine gets better with age). there is no other musician like him.
on 7 August 2016
If you are a lover of musicians' autobiographies, I would seriously recommend avoiding this book at all costs. There is really nothing that can follow this. Any autobiography you read after can and will only be a disappointment. It makes the likes of Slash and Nikki Sixx look like a boy scouts camping trip. So unless you wish to shut down that little avenue of pleasure prematurely, save this one until the doctor's given you about a month to live. Then, go out with a smile on your face (and a large Jack and coke).

What a legend. There'll never be another. RIP.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 September 2013
Late in the book, there's a comment from Lemmy about "the woman that helped me write the book." Impossible, then, to know who is responsible for what, but as another reviewer has pointed out, this isn't really an autobiography, it's more a transcribed interview; a stream of consciousness / series of reminisces. Whilst it's arranged in chronological order, as you might expect, it still has a tendency to meander and, at times, to just ramble. I suspect that Lemmy would have done a better job himself, without the ghost writer. "I can't remember the guy's name. Wait, it was..." is unnoticeable when you're listening to an interview, it's how people talk, but it's dumb to transcribe it.

So, fault no. 1 is that it could have been better written without taking any of the Lemminess out of it. He's colourful & outspoken enough that a bit of judicious editing would have taken nothing good or essential away from the book. Fault no. 2 is that Lemmy's lived his own perfect life for the last 50 years; a fairly pure distillation of sex, drugs & rock 'n' roll! However by the time you're nearing the end of the book, it is getting a bit samey, "recorded new album, went on tour, record company were ***** as usual", rinse & repeat. From a purely critical point of view it's a pretty average book.

Despite all that, this is of course Lemmy, a legend in his own lifetime, at least in the world of Heavy Rock & Metal. He's quite happy to say what he thinks, doesn't mince his words at times, and he really doesn't give a damn whether anyone else approves or disapproves. "There's plenty of space in the world for all sorts of opinions and I'm as entitled to mine as you are to yours" is not something he actually says, but you can see it's the way he thinks (& quite right too!). I have, of course, seen & read many interviews of his through the years. He's always engaging & entertaining, and definitely this comes through throughout, lifting the book from a dull & mediocre "I did this & I did that..." to something well worth your time. It's no classic, not even a 5*, but if you've been a fan of the man or the band at any time, you'll find this a thoroughly enjoyable read.
on 24 July 2013
This for a biography was disappointing.I didn't know a great deal about Lemmy and this book didn't fill in much more.It appeared to ,more about the lineups of the band and the records they were releasing at the time.For me a disappointing read.
on 18 February 2016
I could almost hear lemmys voice when reading this book. I love to hear the personal and growing up stages of a book and in this one it covers it well however I did become a little lost in the mid section with the constant touring but it is peppered with wee stories here and there. All in all I enjoyed it. RIP Lemmy
on 14 January 2016
I really enjoyed reading the specific book; Lemmy is (or better now, was) one of the heavy metal pioneers and one of those I personally respect for their music work and attitude. The book is really easy to read and provides insights on the way that Motorhead were founded, operated and evolved during the years - until about 2003, when the book was published. It also gives detailed information about Lemmy himself and how he faced life in various instances. I liked Lemmy's narrative, especially on the way that he refers to colleagues and mates throughout the years, as well as all those funny and behind the scene stories that would be hard to find. I am sure that Lemmy was also proud of this book.
I only wish that it will be updated, covering the rest of Motorhead's story up to 2015.