Customer reviews

on 6 March 2017
An entertaining read. At times confusing - there's just so many characters! - and at times pretty sad, overall it's a book to make you laugh out loud!

Wonderful stuff from Mr McMurtry!
on 30 April 2018
EXCELLENT
on 3 July 2013
Arrived in good time,packaging good,page ends have a rough untrimmed finish,but for the price (€0.01) I should'nt complain.All in all,very pleased.
One person found this helpful
on 2 July 2014
great book decent quality
One person found this helpful
on 9 September 2014
a long rambling read in short punchy chapters. Now waiting for the third book.
on 27 February 1999
"The Last Picture Show" is one of my favorite novels. With this sequel, we finally get to see what happens to the characters that populate that novel in the potentially rich setting of the oil bust of the 80s. "Texasville" had me cracking up and feeling like I was leaving for a wonderful, wacky and unforgettable journey, but around page 150 it just got too over the top for me. Everyone's so disfunctional or just plain unlikable that I stopped caring about nearly every character long before I finished reading the book. In the end, Duane's lover Suzie Nolan is the only character I cared anything about, and I was really sick of the endless succession of unbelievable events. And Duane ends up like a mental punching bag. No wonder he's depressed. As multi-volume series novels go, I think John Updike's "Rabbit" series is far superior. Updike creates characters we shouldn't have any business liking or caring about and somehow wins our empathy. I'll be skipping "Duane's Depressed" after this disappointment.
8 people found this helpful
on 10 April 2003
Picking up from 'The Last Picture Show' and moving forward thirty years, where the town of Thalia is celebrating its Centennial.
The town might have changed and some people may have moved away, but the two main characters have stayed put.
Duane is still the same but carrying a little extra weight and Sonny still has one eye. We see how they have changed, grown, and adapted to adulthood. You get to see the in's and out's of Duane's mind. Bankruptcy is nipping at his heels, while most of the townspeople are followed by the same fate. Through all this he changes his girlfriends and watches his old best friends mind deteriorate. He discovers new things about his wife and children at the same time as his old girlfriend Jacy moves back to Thalia. The town grows older, while the people fall apart.
A funny and addictive book that makes you want to read it again and again. Easy to read because of McMurtry’s characterisation and humour. It is best if you have read 'The last Picture Show' so you know some of the background behind the town and the people.
6 people found this helpful