on 13 June 2017
excellent I must say a character development that shown thought and understanding
on 13 October 2015
We love reading Gerald Seymour he makes everything he writes come to life, I can recall details from some of his books we read years ago, this book was gripping from start to finish. Thank you
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Excellent book, I worry Mr Seymour is not more quickly enough!
on 4 June 2017
Another riveting story by Gerald Seymour
on 25 November 2001
I was drawn to Gerald Seymour by Harry's Game in the 1980's. His gift was the ability to people pacy and complex plots, set in the "grey" world that most of us (thankfully) never experience at first hand, with three dimensional characters you could both identify with and care for; essentially ordinary, decent, people spiralled into life or death situations by events largely beyond their control.
Then, with The Fighting Man and The Waiting Time, I thought the author had gone the way of many before him; exhausted of ideas he wrote page after page of waffle and "filler", replacing character with charicature and plot with endless descriptive prose. I gave up and abandoned him. "Shot his bolt" I thought.
Earlier this year, largely through lack of choice on the local shop's bookshelf, I bought Line In The Sand. The next three or four days were a blur to me. I couldn't put it down. This was even better than the old Seymour I remembered. All the strength had returned to his pen, gone was the feigning. This time, however, there was a fourth dimension; maturity. I knew all the characters, I knew what drove them, what happened to them was an extension of their background. They were complete.
I tried to imagine the possible endings - there were several. You were never sure with the "old" Seymour and the new, rejuvenated, one was just as unpredictable.
A must. The most enjoyable read I've had in years.
on 10 August 2001
Gerald Seymour has managed to do someting tremendous- write in between the deep yet slow pace of Le Carre and the Mach2 speed of Higgins and the result is incredible. A Line in the Sand revolves around Frank Perry, who spied for the British against Iran. 10 yrs later Iran sends its best assassin to reep revenge by killing perry. It is up to MI5 to protect him and the book moves at a perfect pace and is action studded all the way. Simply a MUST
on 9 October 2000
I usually read a Seymour in a day: I start it in the evening and it keeps me reading until the wee hours. This is another book in the terse, crisp style that characterises his thrillers.
Having read all of the books I keep searching out other good thriller writers and there just aren't many in that league of pace, emotive power, believability and memorableness (perhaps Frederick Forsyth or Michael Crichton). I hope Mr. Seymour keeps it up with gold standard thrillers like this.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 September 2011
The basic plot here is quite straight forward. Frank Perry was engaged in espionage in Iran and as a result of his activities the Iranians want him dead. Having already had one new identity, when they discover his new identity he refuses to move to a new life again. Hence the intelligence services are obliged to protect him at his rural location deep in Suffolk against a highly efficient killer, code name Anvil, who has been sent from Iran.

There is an initial credibility gap here, as the reader seeks to relate to a deadly Iranian assassin wandering around Suffolk - it all seems a bit incongruous really. However, the book is tightly plotted, and whilst the basic story is fairly straight forward, there is, at times, plenty of action and it all becomes very tense. There is quite a lot of exploration of the effect of this situation on Perry and his family, as well as the protection officers with him and this makes for an interesting aspect of the story. The reaction of the local populace and, in particular, the close friends of the family, is especially revealing.

So an interesting tale, at times a page turner, with enough to satisfy lovers of adrenalin fuelled adventures, whilst with exploration of the characters and relationships involved which fleshes it all out and make for a really absorbing book.
on 26 April 2000
"Field of Blood", "The Glory Boys" and "Harry's Game" got me hooked on Gerald Seymour. My enthusiasm was on the wane when "The Journeyman Taylor" reignited it. I agree that recently a few have been below par, "The Fighting Man" in particular was probably his worst.
A Line in the Sand however takes Seymour back up to the top. All the classic trademarks are there; the realistic characters and their situations, the pace of the story, the matter of fact description of shattering events, and of course the "well we can't have a really happy ending because that would never do". If I have one critisism it is the continul re-introduction of charaters from previous books - I find this a bit twee.
My copy of Holding the Line is in my bookcase waiting its turn to read - It has a hard act to follow.
on 28 March 2000
I'm a great Geald Seymour fan and have read all his books, I think. He always manages to put across a good believable story and must be one of the worlds leading Political Thriller writers.
After a few mediocre books, in my opinion, this is Gerald getting back to his best with a well crafted topical tale and believable ordinary characters facing perils that are outside their comprehension. A fine can't put it down read.