Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 October 1998
Having suffered from a chronic major depressive illness for what seems like forever, and finding no relief from subscription anti-depressant medications, I was starting to panic because I was losing hope in the medical treatments that were being given to me to relieve my symptoms. I had long ago given up hope of finding someone who could possibly find the cause of this depression and be able to cure it once and for all. Thanks to fate, I guess, I picked up Dr. Mehl-Madrona's book and the rest, as they say, is history. He is director of the Center for Complementary Medicine in Pittsburgh, a two-hour drive for me, which was a small price to pay for the possibility of actually getting well. Upon first meeting Dr. Mehl-Madrona, I was struck by his unassuming, unpretentious and unthreating manner, especially in light of the fact that he is intellectually gifted. He was unlike any doctor I had ever met. We mapped out a course of treatment, which was not conventional by any stretch of the imagination. But, after only a few short months of treatment, I am a different person, a whole person, thanks to Dr. Mehl-Madrona's healing methods which integrate all levels of being - physical, mental, emotional and spiritual. I literally owe my life to this wonderful doctor. He put me in control of my healing, but he was there with me every step of the way. He treated me as an equal, as a partner in the healing process and the results have been nothing less than amazing.
Read this book. It is a revelation of the lack of compassionate health care that is rampant in our society today. Dr. Mehl-Madrona is a light in our world who passes that light on to his patients and readers in order for them to see clearly the medical establishment that has lost touch with what's real and what's sacred about being human. If you take away nothing else from this review, remember this. Don't give up, don't ever give up. There is hope. And he goes by the name of Lewis-Mehl Madrona, M.D.
on 19 August 1999
On combining Native American and Western medicine. Unbelievably good. I was stunned, I would never have thought a book this good could be written. I went back and bought another copy for a friend after I got my first copy. Beyond merely outstanding. Good coverage of Native American holistic approaches to healing- true healing, not mere treatment without regard for the patient as a human being. The biography part was quite relevant. This book gives me a great deal of hope in the future of medicine- just reading it feels great. I hope to see more from this author, I'd set up a standing account at Amazon to buy anything he puts out whenever it comes out, as I do with Tom Brown, Jr., books.
on 8 April 1999
This is THE best book on Native American spirituality I have ever read. Lewis Mehl-Medrano did an excellent job of sharing his autobiographical experiences as a "half-breed" in learning the spirituality of his family in a way that was relevant to those readers unfamiliar with N.A. spirituality. His presentation was refreshingly non-New Age in an honest, clearly written description of Native American healing beliefs and practices juxtaposed with his training and experiences as a western-trained medical doctor. The book was inspirational without being syrupy or lecturing. I truly enjoyed this book and will read it again.
on 23 May 2014
Excellent book as it really shows how important it is to link up conventional medicine with alternative or rather , complementary medicine . Very thought provoking and easy to read . Highly recommended .
on 30 October 1998
This book comes from a veiw that is very seldom seen in a person combining modern technology with his born heritage. He makes it seem like you are right there with him all the way through the whole experience of his life and modern practice. It is a must read for anyone who is studying Native American beleifs and culture.
on 4 September 1998
As more and more of us in the medical profesion start to learn from our ancestors; and more importantly, as we start to listen to our clients and ourselves, I have a feeling that we will hear more about this book. Maybe we will read more from the author as we let him know that he is not alone.
Kevin Bethel MD CM
on 8 May 2000
When I was doing my own book tour, I pushed Coyote Medicine as much as my own. It is exciting in that you don't have to be Native American to be inspired by the healing potential of which we are all capable. I can't seem to hang onto a copy because I keep giving it away.
on 8 July 1998
I have no Native American blood, but every page of this book awakened fresh awareness why I feel such despair in dealing with what is called "healing" among American practitioners of medicine. I have a niece who went from terminal cancer to no traces of cancer in ONE sweat lodge and prior week of preparation with Mehl-Madrona. She was able to believe.
His approaches will grate on those who value dogma and replicable rigidity over substance and intuitive responses to the individual. This book rates ten stars in my response to it. It moves toward sanity; away from the profits to be made in pushing destructive "medicinal" drugs that mask rather than cure.
on 5 July 1998
Lewis Mehl-Madrona has achieved what most of us would truely wish for - a book which entertains and enlightens. He illustrates his own story with native tales which give the reader a deeper understanding of themselves as well as the book. I liked 'Coyote Medicine' best because it leads the reader through all the ceremonies - giving them an insight into a previously hidden world without making it threatening, mysterious or even pompous. Despite being simply written it has a very strong and clear message - modern medicine has strayed too far from nature and become too self important.
on 21 August 1998
I am a registered nurse who has struggled with the reasoning behind many of our current medical practices for chronic care. Dr Mehl-Madrona's book has convinced me I am on the right path in pursuing a career that recognizes alternative therapy can serve as an adjunct to conventional medicine. Thank-you for a most enjoyable and rewarding book.