TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 6 August 2017
This is a fascinating story of the Lewis and Clark expedition. Ambrose clearly loves his subject and he writes with depth and beauty on the American landscape as Lewis and Clark saw it. It is fascinating to read about this part of the United States in its untouched and pristine form and to learn about the American Indians who once populated this great American wilderness. I would have like to learn a little more about Sacagewea's role in the expedition as she is one of these famous Indian women that every American school child learns about. Her role is discussed but not elaborated on in any great deatail. And it would have been beneficial to have spent a few chapters in the beginning discussing how the Louisiana Purchase was made. The focus of this book was soley on the expedition. But is is still a great story, with triumph, and in some way, ultimately tragedy. I would definitely recommend.
One person found this helpful
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 15 February 2018
An absolutely spellbinding account of the Lewis-Clark Expedition across North America. Little known amongst we British, the Lewis-Clark Expedition into western North America, instigated by America's third President, Thomas Jefferson, was probably of deeper significance to mankind than John F. Kennedy's sanction of the Lunar Mission. Stephen E. Ambrose being a more than accomplished writer this is a superb narrative. It rewards close attention, particularly where Ambrose quotes directly from contemporary sources whose spelling can distract modern readers. A magnificient work, one reads it taking in the grandeur of the territory where the Lewis-Clark Expedition were the first non-native Americans to view its splendour. A superb history that I'm sure will be read avidly by future generations of Americans .
on 20 July 2014
The western half of the United States in 1800 was a vast unknown land so President Thomas Jefferson asked Meriwether Lewis to lead an expedition to find a way from the Missouri River to the Pacific Ocean and to describe the country and peoples that he found in that huge blank on the map.

On 22 May 1804 Lewis, his partner William Clark and their expedition set out from St Louis, Missouri and after a momentous journey across the great plains and over the Rocky Mountains he camped beside the Pacific Ocean at the mouth of the Columbia River on 10 November 1805.

Stephen Ambrose in his sweeping account of the journey of the first white Americans to cross the unknown part of the continent brings the events vividly to life and when reading his account I tried to imagine what the country was like before white Americans settled there and built their towns, cities, railways and roads. Reading the original words of Lewis's diaries can be quite difficult because of the way he uses language so Ambrose performs a valuable service for us by putting into modern language Lewis's words. Clearly this is a labour of love for Ambrose who has himself followed in the footsteps of Lewis and Clark and he tells the story of the jouirney in such a way as to make it difficult for you to put the book down once you have started reading it.

It is a terrific book and I thoroughly recommend it to everyone and as someone who has seen for himself some years ago the magnificent country that the expedition crossed I think Ambrose has told the story in a way that is truly memorable and enjoyable.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 13 October 2013
The Lewis and Clark Expedition is one of those events that I've always been vaguely aware of, but it had always been more in the realm of myth than actual, hard history. I'd heard of Lewis and Clark and the Corps of Discovery, I'd heard of Sacagawea, I knew they'd explored...somewhere in the American wilderness - but that was about it. So this biography, primarily of Meriwether Lewis, but really about the Expedition as a whole, was a truly informative and entertaining read.

The Lewis and Clark Expedition reads like something out a Boys' Own Adventure story - forging rivers, climbing mountains, prairie thunderstorms, blizzards, stand-offs and friendships with previously unknown tribes, discovering animals, birds and plants previously unknown to science, all in search of all-water route across the continent to the Pacific Ocean. Lewis and Clark may have failed to discover the route they were in search of, mainly because it didn't exist, but the information they brought back was truly revelatory, filling in the blanks of the map of the American West.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, although the many numerous quotes from Lewis' journals slowed my read down somewhat, since Lewis enjoyed a fairly loose relationship with grammar and spelling. It lends authenticity, for certain, but I could have done with edited quotes. And personally I found Ambrose interpolated too much of himself into the text on occasions, but with such a topic I can forgive an author letting his passion get the best of him.
on 3 December 2013
For me this book struck the right balance between detail and narrative and I found it a good read. The author seems to have an even handed opinion of Lewis, praising him for his skills and achievements but not shying away from his faults and shortcomings.

As ever in this type of book the maps are crucial and in this I thought the book did ok but not great.
on 16 September 2017
Gripping. Easy read. A tale I knew little of previously. Excellent.
on 23 December 2017
Good quality item pleased.
on 1 May 2015
Excellent book. Very readable and informative. If you want a good account of this epic expedition, this is THE book.
on 7 April 2016
excellent story well told
on 17 August 2012
I live in the US, and a British citizen is joining several of us for a week-long bike tour of the Katy Trail, in Missouri. UnDaunted Courage is a well-written account of the Lewis and Clark expedition and our bike tour will follow the route of that great expedition.. Amazon UK was able to quickly ship a copy to my friend and I hear he is enjoying the book. It is one of the best history books ever written and will deepen our expedition along the Missouri river.
One person found this helpful