on 20 November 2001
Probably one of the first novels I have read a long time ago, which gave me a deep insight into life and the we way we live it, namely wrongly!

Just as Kazantzakis intended that character, Zorba steps out of the book, knocks you about a bit, questions your answers and teaches you a bit about life. About sadness and happines, cruelty and kindness, about a life not always lived the right way, but surely a life lived intensly!

You will dread the moment of the last page, you will not want Zorba to leave, but at the end you will walk out there in the old world seeing it with new eyes and try to be: Zorba - the Greek!
J.
on 20 June 1998
Zorba is great simply because the narrator, who vascillates in constant indecision is a great foil for Zorba, who at nearly 60 lives at 100 miles per hour. Brilliant Book for anyone stuck in one of life's ruts.
on 13 December 1998
You have to read this book..it will really change your life. It will make you see things on a different way , on the way of zorba . The meaning of life in a small book , of the Greek Genius Nikos Kazantzakis
on 16 May 2009
Hi, I don't feel like writing a review for this wonderful book but I'm just writing a comment to point out that the book description is wrong. The narrator in the book is NOT an Englishman, it is a young Greek intellectual. I assume someone has watched the film, misunderstood it and then proceed to write the book description.

Do these people that write the book description ever take the trouble to read the books?
on 24 May 2015
Laugh out loud funny in parts, entertaining. Good to read on holiday in Crete.
on 29 September 2008
One of the richest experiences I have ever had with any story. Kazantzakis is a very good story teller and Zorba the Greek is a great novel. It masterfully portraits the inner feelings and struggles of the learned modern man of the day, who is torn apart between his nature and nurture. The story is told through the dialogues of two friends, the boss and Zorba.

I once came across an overzealous, ultra sensitive commentator who criticised the book for its attitudes towards some religious beliefs; or, its [on the surface] sexist use of language. Let me reassure all my friends, the world is a much better place with this book, than it would be otherwise.
on 23 April 2007
"Zorba the Greek" is simply a great novel. Kazantzakis is brilliant in his dialogue, story-telling, and word pictures. I have read Zorba over and over again, particularly when I want to feel the vibrant life of Greek culture. Many find themselves in opposition to Kazantzakis' philosophies, but this book should be savored for its pure celebration of life, brilliantly embodied in Zorba and his intellectual friend, a young British Greek.

Sexist, yes. Anti-religious, yes. A great read, nonetheless!
on 26 February 1999
A fighter, who desperately waving against the flow to the stiff fall, finally broke out the paddle and throw it away. and sung.
"Ah, let this song to be my life! I hope for nothing! I fear nothing! I am free!"
Nikos's tomb got last lines of the fable above. what a man he was... who ever you are, may zorba with you.
from a student in Korea, place of morning calm.
on 29 July 2009
After reading this book I can confidently say it is by far one of the greatest books I've ever read. Nikos Kazantzakis beautifully writes about the friendship of Zorba and Boss and the adventures they embark upon. The final page is heart-wrenching, brought tears to my eyes due to its immense poignancy.
A book that I strongly recommend. You shall not regret it.
on 24 February 1999
I have just finshed reading Zorba the Greek yesterday. I was just like the boss who always just thinking and asking what the life is. So I could do nothing. But Zorba told me " Do anything ! And then you may find out the answer" I really recommand that you should meet Zorba..