on 18 December 2002
Peter Mayle's earlier books on his time in Provence have introduced us to a utopian world of sun, fine wine and cuisine, the quirks of provencal living and a number of interesting characters. What he does in Hotel Pastis is use this idyllic world as a background for the telling of what is generally a very uncomplicated but warm and cheerful story. We've all read those stories of people following a dream and escaping to warmer climates, living in picture postcard surroundings and romancing with beautiful people and this book offers more of the same. There are one or two sub-plots and twists but the book is still following a common genre. That said, i still enjoyed this one very much, finishing it off in under two days.
Its certainly not a classic but if you are a Mayle/Provence buff, you want an easy story to read while relaxing by the pool on holiday or perhaps to cheer you up on those dark and grey winter evenings then Hotel Pastis has a lot to offer.
on 29 July 2004
I recently read this book while holidaying in Antibes, a large town south of provence on the Cote d'Azur. I found it most entertaining, and, although a novel, quite informative regarding customs and habits of the Provencal people. It is extremely well written and very easy to read. The characters are all lovable, even the rogues (apart form the Marseille gangland boss), and you feel that you know them before reaching the end of the book. I highly recommend this to all fans of Peter Mayle and to lovers of this area of France.
on 15 December 1999
If you lead a hectic working life you'll find it easy to relate to Simon Shaw. You'll probably be a little envious too - but who wouldn't... Imagine being able to abandon the rat-race and start a new life (and find a new love) in one of the most beautiful regions of France.
Read Peter Mayle's book and it's easy to imagine yourself in Brassiere-les-Deux-Eglises watching the plot unfold and enjoying the many pleasures of Provence.
With a cast of colourful characters and curious sub-plots there is never a dull page. And, by the time you get to the end, you may well wish that you could stay in the little world that Peter Mayle has created instead of returning to the real one.
on 8 December 2012
I had this book already in my printed book collection but of course wanted it also amongst my e-books. A very entertaining story with beautifully delineated characters. The tale of a british man who decides to leave his life in London and to reastablish himself in France by buying a picturesque old house, restoring it lovingly and opening it as a hotel with the help of Lady he meets in Provence. A secondary story runs alongside, some less than bright locals plan to rob a bank but get hopelessly befuddled - it has everything, crime, love, the Mafia, Le Tour de France - what else can one ask for? A perfect read.
on 9 February 2016
Nothing to compare with his Provence books... many swear words which are appearing in too many books these days.. have now thrown it away as I don't want to contaminate other people's minds if I give it to charity.
on 20 November 2015
I love all Peter Mayle's books, and I'd like to stay at the Hotel Pastis if it existed. 'Airnest' is a wonderful character, and whether it's stories of life in Provence, or his dip into crime, all are an enjoyable read.
on 24 December 2013
What a great and amusing writer Peter Mayle is. He combines a strong story with outrageous humour and by the end of the work I was disappointed that it had ended. I really love his work and can't think why I have only just come across this author. I was tempted to try him by an offer on Kindle and have been hooked ever since.
on 1 June 2014
As a complete Francophile, I love this book and have read it many times. It so typifies the life style of southern France and many other areas too. The characters really come to life under the penmanship of Peter Mayle. definitely his best book.
on 10 August 2014
Loved it in hard back loved it again on Kindle as it didn't make my arm ache while reading it. Bursting with entertaining characters and humour you can feel the dusty sun drenched warmth easing the winter chils from your bones.
on 16 April 2014
I very enjoyable read. Not great literature but well written with lovely observations of the characters. Written from a male point of view which I appreciated. The several plots weave well together and the descriptions of the Provence area are great. The relationship between Simon and Nicole and indeed Ernest is nicely explored. A great book to take on holiday or to read at any time. I have read it at least three times and will doubtless do so again. A book to cheer you up!!