on 20 January 2016
I purchased this following a recommendation from a photographer based in Vancouver as we're going on holiday to that area in a few months. The images are plentiful though there are no photographs in the book, however I often feel it is difficult to identify birds from photographs, so I prefer this.

The male/female plumage differences are shown and the descriptions are comprehensive, including the size and weight of the adult birds as well as their birdsong, usual location and preferred habitat.

It is a very handy size to pop in the rucksack and as I wasn't sure what it meant when I purchased it, the flexibound option it mentions in the buying options means that it has a rounded spine and when you open it, it will lie flat without breaking the spine.
on 8 June 2011
This book, and it's sister one for Eastern North American, are about the best bird books I own (and I have a lot...). The layout is exemplary, with good illustrations of most of the plumages, plus good maps and brief but informative text. Also very useful are the summary pages for each bird family which gives thumbnail style pictures of all the family members on one or two pages - saves endless flicking through to narrow down the identification. While some might say that the daddy of this book - the large format whole-North America version - is more comprehensive, I would say that this version edits that information to a handy pocket size without losing any important data. A model guide.
on 28 December 2009
Good reference book with clear illustrations and informative text for the knowledgeable as well as the amateur birder.
on 17 July 2013
I found this book to be the most comprehensive and easiest to use during my birding trip to California and without it I would have been very frustrated. It is as good as the Collins European birds guide. Illustrations show birds in flight and detailed distribution maps, habitat is carefully described and helpful for identification. The summary of each bird family at the start of each chapter showing bird plates and page numbers means that you don't have to waste time looking through the pages to find what you want.
on 4 July 2011
Wonderful! I have the full Guide but this is much more convenient despite having fewer illustrations of some species. I carried it everywhere.
on 8 June 2013
I would have rated it higher but I having bought my copy just a few days before a trip it wasn't until I was there that I discovered the book had 12 pages missing! However it is a good field guide , the text for each species is short but succinct with key ID features noted alongside the illustrations and it's a handy size to take out into the field. Definitely a book to consider for birding in Western north America but check all the pages are there!
on 15 March 2013
I have the full Sibley, but this is smaller so handier to carry in the field, and takes up less room/weight in my luggage.
on 3 October 2012
Good text and pictures and handy size. Useful to have a map for each species. Very good all round field guide.
on 13 March 2015
Just what I needed when I was in America ,I also bought the birds of eastern North America
on 20 April 2015