on 18 September 2012
I have recently bought two Python books: "Core Python Programming" by Wesley Chun, and this one. I like this one better. It's stunningly crisp, clear, and to the point. As the author says in the introduction "it has been my goal to produce a reference containing everything I have needed to use Python and its large collection of modules" and that's exactly what he does.

If you're coming to Python as a programmer with experience in other languages you'll find this book very accessible (it has a HUGE index). If you're entirely new to programming it's probably not for you.

It was published in 2009 and inevitably is (slightly) showing signs of age, particularly in the comments about the status of Python 3. But I really, really wouldn't let that put you off buying it. Mr. Beazley, you did a good job!
4 people found this helpful
on 3 December 2013
Python Essential Reference is a brilliant read for both the casual career coder to the disciplined developer. A must have for anyone that likes to read around a subject and see just how far the rabbit hole really goes.

I've been working with python for a few years now and every time I dip into this book I come away with something new to try with one of my projects.

I now look forward to a bit of downtime just to flick through this great tome.
2 people found this helpful
on 15 May 2016
Quite good. It helped me learn new things about python without forcing me to read a thousand pages.
on 9 June 2017
Good book. Easy to follow.
on 8 June 2015
Actually one of the best Python books I've had. It's not for rookies but for more advanced users. If you want to quickly understand some topic or need a comprehensive reference then go for it!
on 26 February 2018
Good reference book to the most needed features and libraries of Python 3. The only setback to me was the tiny font which is just barely readable to my oldish eyes. That's why only four stars.
on 24 October 2013
Its not only a reference book, I used this book for learning python from scratch. I dont use python that often at work but I use it a lot for writing custom scripts for my personal development.

A must have book for any developer.
3 people found this helpful
on 23 October 2015
Clear concise reference book. Find what you need quickly and in sufficient detail.
on 22 October 2015
Best reference guide I have seen so far for Python. Keep it close by - well worth it to get to the point of something in the language quickly.
on 3 March 2015
Great reference book! simple and concise, recommending it!