on 30 August 2002
I ordered this book because I thought when I get myself a book about nothing else but databases and Delphi/Kylix it would be extensive. However this book doesn't go into the subject deep enough. Almost everything you learn with this book is also mentionned in books like 'Delphi developer's guide' and 'Mastering Delphi'.
Sometimes the author gives a difficult solution to a problem without mentioning the easy way: for example he creates a component for a DBListBox which uses values to store those in a database. This can be done much easier using the OnGetText and OnSetText events of the field however he fails to mention those procedures in the book.
Final remark: there are so many listings in this book that they should have been put on a cd without printing them all out. That would give the customer a better idea about the size of this book.
The Delphi beginners will probably learn something with this book however I would recommend them 'Delphi developer's guide' which covers databases and a lot more!
on 23 November 2002
I suspect that this book was originally called "Delphi Database Development" and was upgraded by adding the word "/Kylix" to the front cover. That appears to be virtually the only reference I can find to Kylix in the book. I appreciate that Delphi 6 and Kylix are supposed to be cross platform, but quite a few of Eric's examples are Windows specific referring to registry settings and dlls with no information on what is different in Kylix. That said, the explanations of how all the components connect are clearly laid out and fairly easy to follow. If you are a Delphi programmer you'll find it useful. If you're into Kylix you'll find it useful, but frustrating in places.
on 4 March 2014
Highly recommended! Author Chris Harmon was member of TurboPower Experts, and the book is written in collaboration with
Borland development employees. This book is aimed at the intermediate database programmer and hands out practical advice throughout the book.

Even though I bought this book for development with Lazarus, it is of course useful for Embarcadero Delphi too.