Customer reviews

on 14 March 2000
Although I have a comprehensive background working with VB6, it meant nothing when it comes to Visual InterDev 6. Beware, this book is not for beginners. Look elsewhere. Paul Thurrott, et al, do a good job of explaining the many varied and exasperating complexities of VI 6, but assume you've been using Version One and therefore have a good understanding of what they're talking about. Fine if you do. If you don't you might just as well whistle dixie, because it's meaningless. Don't make the same mistake as I did. Start off with a "Beginning" book first. Finally, the examples don't work (what's new) and when I went to the web site, (guess what) it was down. Having said that, I'd rather keep the book than send it back, so I'm hoping it will be money well spent eventually.
on 24 August 1999
I had high expectations for this book since it had a 5 star rating from the previous 7 readers which is why I ordered it. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed. Although the book does touch on many important topics, it is very disjointed and there is no kind of flow for the content. The explanations for the source code consist of "Paste in this code and everything will work fine" which is a far cry from explaining what is happening in the code block. You can tell that this book is the combined result of many different authors with no major flow between the chapters. I bought the book hoping for an in-depth review of Visual InterDev and what I got was a superficial review some of the features. I am sorely disappointed.
on 29 July 1999
This book is a must for the database driven web developer. Many topics in this book are not covered in the books online or other books and I would suggest this particular title for any Enterprise InterDev web developer. I am truly delighted with the topics that are covered in this book from the pageobject to ADO to MTS or the applicable case studies discussed in this book. I would recommend this book for the intermediate to advanced developer or perhaps the ambitious beginner who wants to learn proper techniques from the start. I have researched many InterDev books and this is definately the best book on the market to date hands down.
on 20 March 2002
Having just started with Interdev6 I knew perhaps this book was not right for me, although I did expect more in the way of step by step examples. The approach taken is more theoretical than practical. If you are familiar with Interdev6 and the coding required and do not prefer to be guided through examples, then you may find this book useful, otherwise invest your money elsewhere. Having said that, I am not returning the book but will keep it for future reference. I will, however, need to purchase another reference to cover the more basic concepts of Interdev6.
on 8 June 1999
I restrained myself from buying other books on Visual InterDev 6 and I am glad I did so. This book focuses on the more practical uses of VI6, but doesn't leave out the more obscure topics. It explains a task at the hands on level, but also takes the time to explain the theory, and help you to decide the best way to do something. On a side note, the database chapters focus on SQL Server 7, with Oracle and Access mentioned very briefly. This formula met my needs perfectly, and I recommend the book to anyone who wants to get something specific done quickly, but get a general working knowledge of the product at the same time.
on 4 August 1999
This book is a gold mine for anyone trying to use Visual InterDev. It covers all of the related technologies that most other books simply ignore. There are quality examples about DHTML, CSS, debugging, security, data access, JavaScript, VBScript, MTS, Index Server. There are chapters dedicated to building real life web sites with catalogs and e-commerce being the focus. It also contains a complete reference section for HTML, JavaScript, VBScript, ASP, T-SQL and the Scripting Object Model. This book is an InterDev Bible!
on 24 August 1999
I learned more from this $40 book than I did from a $2,500 InterDev class! Great coverage of BOTH Javascript and VBScript. As well as Dynamite sections on DHTML, MTS, ASP Objects, security, Transact SQL, and lots more.
Author gives crisp, easy to understand explanations that don't Drone on and on, and Real-world examples that you can actually implement on your own projects right away! Plus the E-Commerce section was Exactly what I needed.
This book blew me away! I can't wait to redo my sites with InterDev!
on 13 July 1999
It is great to come across a book where the author(s) not only knows his/her subject matter in great depth and is able to communicate that knowledge effectively.
The authors also describe the pros and cons of when which technology to use in which situation which is essential information for developing web applications where not everyone has IE4/5!
There are many, many crap VI books out there so be warned! This is the definitive
on 24 November 1999
Interdev harnesses a number of technologies most of which are specific to Microsoft. It would be great not to be tunnelled into this situation - but that's all about risk.
My view is that the book along with Microsoft MSDN (Not included) gives a good level of information for an involved product.
Good books deserve recognition ...
on 29 May 1999
This book has a wealth of knowledge to share with any reader looking to master InterDev 6. Touches most topics deeply enough to leaving you understand the concepts and theory without confusing you. If you bought a previous book on InterDev 6....put it on the shelf and begin here.