Customer reviews

on 14 May 2013
I downloaded this for free and I'm so glad I did. I loved this book. I liked it so much that I have the rest of the books on my wish list to purchase, which I don't often do after reading a free book. Well written characters and engaging style. I look forward to reading more by this Author.
on 20 January 2014
Really enjoyed this book. It is well written and has a good flow to the story as our 2 main characters go through their travels and adventures...
on 4 March 2013
This book deserves this rating and I honestly recommend this book it was a brilliant story. Go on and read .
on 29 November 2012
Always fun to enter the convoluted worlds of David Weber. Nbr. 2 is ordered - but it takes a long time to reach Europe. Pity!!
on 6 November 1998
I often find myself approaching with uncertainty the first book of an author I like who has decided to skip genres. Not everyone can do it successfully - things that work 'effortlessly' in one genre sometimes stumble in another. Not here. Weber's Honor Harrington novels are some of the most exceptionally re-readable books I know - and this is another. The overall tone was lighter than I expected, but it didn't take me long to appreciate it: I frequently found myself grinning with pleasure. I do find myself grinning when reading some of his other books but that is a fiercer briefer sort of emotion: partly perhaps because here there is an ironic humour in the basic setup of situation and character. As much as his other books this is a novel of heroism and necessity and the hidden human face of that heroism. Bazell is as much a hero as Honor is, for all the difference of attitude and character between them .It is to Weber's credit that he has moved so far away from his most succesful creation to come up with a character who is in his own right just as strong and just as interesting. It's just as well there are to be more in this series - I really want to read them. I'll have to wait a bit...(Sigh)
on 6 October 2012
David Weber is famous for his Honor Harrington science fiction/space opera series, and not every author can do fantasy and sci fi successfully.

David Weber, however, most certainly can.

If you are expecting something like Honor Harrington, but with more swords (OK, not that many more swords) but fewer spaceships, forget it. Oath of Swords is something else entirely. This is a funny, observant romp of a traditional swords-and-sorcery fantasy novel.

In Weber's fantasy world, there are five 'races of man' - humans, dwarves, elves, halflings and hradani. The hradani are a kind of orc-equivalent - large and violent - and Our Hero, Bahzell, is one of them. This immediately marks the book off from other fantasy novels as the hero is not straight vanilla human, and he's from a race that's traditionally the Bad Guys in fantasy. In fact, since Bahzell's world is several hundred years after a fairly apocalyptic mage war in which the hradani fought on the wrong side, hradani are seen as the Bad Guys by everyone who isn't a hradani in this book too. The lingering prejudice against hradani is a running theme in the book.

Bahzell, being the son of the ruler of one of the hradani city-states, is a sort of envoy crossed with hostage at the court of another hradani prince. He interferes in some local nastiness which results in him having to flee (with the female victim) for his life. His local friend, Brandark, goes with him 'to keep him out of trouble'.

The rest of the book is the chronicle of Bahzell and Brandark's amusingly ill-fated journey across the continent, dealing with evildoers, rescuing maidens in distress, and confronting unwanted gods. Unwanted by Bahzell, anyway.

Although this is quite definitely 'light fantasy', it has enough depth to be interesting and Weber has written characters that you like (or like to hate) so you want to read on in order to find out what happens to them, and what scrape Bahzell (and Brandark) is going to get into next. It's good clean fun, and I've read it more times than I like to admit.

If you like fantasy, you like humour, you like a book - and characters - that doesn't take itself too seriously, you'll love this.

Buy the book. You won't regret it.
on 7 July 1997
This story takes a break from Weber's usual space novels. His unique style still comes through with flying colors though.
Bahzell is a prince among his people and is sent as a hostage to another kingdom. While there he breaks his hostage bond by saving a young woman and must flee. He takes the woman he saves and sends her to his father for protection. To avoid bringing war and dishonor to his father he crosses into the human lands. While there he gets into many tight spots due to his sense of honor. The god of war takes notice of him and his deeds while his enimes aided by another god try to destroy him.
To find out more you will have to read this book you WILL NOT regret it. :-)
on 20 January 2013
A fully successful departure into this genre by David Weber, I think the author enjoyed writing this and this shows through..
Its all about the action but the characters have enough depth to involve you and the humor softens some of the darker themes covered.
Its a "ripping yarn" adventure so don't look for LOTR but do look for a well written sword and sorcery tale with characters you can like and villains you can hate.
on 13 January 2016
Reasonably good fast paced fantasy. Possibly only 3 1/2 stars in reality but still a decent enough read so that I bought the sequel or two. I do prefer Weber's mainstream SF (Honor Harrington) but this is a pleasant diversion. Decent chracters, a strong blast of morality from the main protagonist and some standard touches of respect to classics such as the Hobbit and LOTR with reflections of how man/elves/dwarves behave.
on 28 December 2013
This is a book with a great hero and supporter. I read this through in one sitting and couldn't put it down. Great if you like fantasy, good deeds, swordplay and heroism. The dark forces play out well, although a bit disappointed in some of the side characters who could have been followed through in a little more depth. Give it a go if you like fantasy books.