Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 January 2003
My boss gave me this book when I hit my first big dip in sales in my current job. It turned my attitude around and lifted me back up (mentally and performance-wise).
Frank Bettger's story is truly inspirational. Even though it was first published in 1947, it's lessons are just as relevant now as they were then. I recommend anyone going through sales training with us - novices and veterans alike - to read this book.
If you're browsing contemporary sales books, you will not get the results you're looking for from any sophisticated approach until you understand and apply the fundamentals suggested by Frank Bettger.
For additional inspiration I also recommend 'The Greatest Salesman in The World' by Og Mandino.
on 29 August 2003
"The only sales book that I've ever wanted to re-read". Doesn't that say it all? I've read many books on sales and tend to end up feeling disappointed when I've finished them. They either try to be inspirational and end up being preachy, or they present methods for increasing sales effectiveness that are difficult to believe in (and therefore implement), or they contain too many different ideas and I end up without any clarity.
What Bettger does here is present a simple autobiographical look at his life in sales that describes his methods, ideas, problems and triumphs in such a way that you can easily extract the fundamentals of his success and feel genuinely enthused enough to finish up wanting to put them into immediate practise!
If, like me, you've read a few sales books already then this one probably won't teach you much that is new, but its style, readability and believable realism had a way of catalysing all the clutter that I carried around in my head into a clear set of tactics that I can actually use.
on 22 January 2002
A friend gave me a copy of this book in 1973, and I didn't pick it up to read for the first time until one rainy Sunday afternoon in February of 1977. To my surprise, I couldn't put it down, and I have read it numerous times through the years. I have given out copies of this book as a gift to several of my friends who are in various areas of sales, and everyone of them have told me know how much they enjoyed it. I still pick it up to spot read a particular chapter when I need motivating, and it never fails to pick me up. I regret that I was not fortunate enough to have met this remarkable gentleman during his lifetime. His personal story is truly inspirational. I highly recommend this wonderful book to anyone, whether they are in sales or not.
on 23 July 2004
For the first time in my entire life I've finshed a book in the same day I've started reading it.
Writen in a simple way, it boosted my confidence, and I'm looking forward to follow the advices given and methodes.
Good buy even if you're not looking for a sales job.
on 2 May 2005
I'm currently trying to move into Sales. This book is absolutely brilliant. At times the book can seem dated but the principles are all there. After reading this book I went out on the town like a new man. I've had lots of comments on how much happier I seem and people find me much more approachable. The reason........ this book.
You'll learn that if you act enthusiastic, you will become enthusiastic.
Highly recommended purchase even if you have no intention of moving into Sales.
on 20 February 1997
As a long time sales trainer, I've had opportunity to teach over 300 salespeople. As a part of that training I regularly use this book. Every person I've ever recommended this book to has stated that it is without a doubt the finest sales book they've ever read.

Bettger's writing style makes the book an easy read, and the information contained in the book is practical and easy to apply. For anyone in the sales profession, or those considering a future career, this book should be a part of your library.
on 4 June 1998
This book helped me to be all the time the top salesman or rather serviceman(come to think of it!) in selling housewares products in spite of problems back home in Rwanda(Central Africa).In life, it helped me to be positive and enthusiastic.It should be recomended in each and every school, library, house, the world ever.I have resolved to call my first born Frank or Bettger in his honor.As he recomended,i am half way through the Dale Carnergie training on public speaking.Thanx so much Frank.
on 13 July 2005
I first read this book in 1965 and it not only changed my life with its wisdom but by applying Franks philosophy of life it also helped me to become financially independent. To the sophisticated mind of today it seems so basic but in reality its message is timeless. I am only sorry I didn't get to meet the man himself.
on 4 July 1997
The only one thing, I have to say, is to read Chapter 1 every morning and you'll see a differance in your wallet and in your life.
And, like Mr. Dale Carnegie said "The most helpful and inspiring book on salesmanship that I have ever read."
on 23 February 2006
This is one of very few books that truly makes a difference. It was written many years ago, but the ideas still work. Goodness do they work! I am not in sales, but these ideas are about how to communicate more effectively with other people, not just sales. I would encourage everyone to take a look at this book, try just one of Frank's ideas and see what happens. I hope that it will change your life for the better as it has mine.