Customer reviews

on 4 December 2015
Loved this book!.. Romantic and funny with a few little turns in it. Loved both the main characters and the secondary ones too.
on 19 July 2014
Wonderful, light and funny read. You cannot help but love the characters. Beautiful story. Will definitely reread it again and again.
Set mostly in the year 1814, Joyous "Joy" Fiona MacQuarie was half mortal and half white witch. She had been raised and taught by her aunt, The MacLean, since her parents had died. No matter how hard she tried though, she could not master her magic. So often something went wrong. When her aunt had to go to America for awhile, Joy was to teleport herself to a relative's cottage. She and Beezle (a weasel - her familiar) ended up in the lap of Alec Castlemaine, Duke of Belmore.
Alec was the fifteenth Duke of Belmore. His father had made sure that Alec took the role seriously - too seriously! Everyone knew his coldness, even his two closest buddies, the Earl of Downe and Viscount Seymour, and all except Downe and Seymour feared him. Alec's fiancé had just ran off a day before their wedding. To stop gossip and soothe his pride, Alec married Joy.
Joy had tried to tell Alec she was a witch, before they married, but he refused to listen. His kisses dazzled her and before she could say, "Oh my goodness" they were wed. From then on Alec's world was never the same. When he made Joy cry, it rained water. When he kissed Joy, it rained pink rose petals. When he made Joy angry, the clouds voiced her feelings. And because Joy loved Alec with all her heart, she would give him what he needed most ... a little magical mayhem in his dreary world.
***** I have fallen in LOVE with this author! In fact, I plan to search Barnett's back list in hopes of finding a story for Letitia. Pick up this title on your next awful day and watch your day get better quickly. Therre is just no way one can NOT laugh and enjoy such a book as this!
on 22 February 2001
This is my first book that i have read by jill Barnet and it won't be my last.Once i started reading it it was hard for me to putit down. the book is brilliant, fill with love and laughter. Joyous is a witch whose spells don't always work out the way they should and poor Alec is the the guywho falls for her.
on 28 December 2003
A sweet fairy tale.

Joyous Fiona MacQuarrie was a beautiful, Scottish witch with lovely green eyes. A witch who couldn't control her magic no matter how hard she tried, to the despair of her aunt, the MacLean, one of the best witches of all time.

It was one of her spells that went wrong what made her fall into the arms of the handsome Alec, Duke of Belmore. They got married and she turned Belmore Park upside down with merriment and strange occurrences, but soon the fire turned into ice when the proud nobleman discovered that his wife was a witch.

It's a great book that will make you smile, laugh out loud and cry. The supporting cast is great.

Don't miss "Dreaming", next in the series.

(I read this book in 2003 and wrote this review then.)
on 10 May 2013
This is my first book from this writer and i absolutely loved it! I found myself reading and reading, just could not put it down. I loved both characters, Joy and Alec, and had a smile on my face throughout. Well done. Cannot wait to read the Dreaming which tells us a story about The Earl of Downe from this book.
on 28 December 2015
I have tried to read this book a few times now as the story line sounded such fun, but sadly it is so full of descriptive waffle, I can't get into the characters at all, and find myself skipping through huge chunks of text to get to the bones of the story. Utterly boing :(
on 14 January 2016
I wanted to read something different and this book did it for me, excuse the pun but it was magical it has laughter and sadness, it's left me feeling I want to read more like it, well done Jill I will definitely read more of your books.
on 18 August 2013
Bewitching indeed. Could not put this book down, just makes you glow inside. Fantastic and unusual version of a regency romance. I will be reading more books by this authored a for sure. Would recommend to anyone.
on 19 October 2015
A thoroughly enjoyable story, so long as you are willing to suspend all your critical faculties.