Customer reviews

on 13 June 2015
I needed this for my chosen A level coursework, it was so useful, it meant I only needed this book for sources, brilliant
on 24 March 2018
Good quality and exactly what I needed for my coursework
on 17 December 2015
Just what was needed for school
on 11 February 2011
An invaluable digest--and a pity this book is so rare. It is invaluable, though it is not illustrated and looks like a dull little paperback.

The quoted extracts (from contemporary politicians and newspapers, and later historians) give us each rival interpretation--traditionalist, Republican, abolitionist, Marxist, revisionist, in turn.

This is brilliantly eye-opening. Until I read this book I was only vaguely aware of these schools of historiography, second hand. But this makes them clear without giving indigestible full texts.

Most recommended.
on 20 May 2014
I am currently studying the American Civil War and this book is an essential aid to that Study. Thank You.
on 13 March 2017
comprehensive, not for beginners, but very good.
on 2 September 2016
Very good condition
on 16 March 2017
as described
on 2 June 2002
This book probably did more to expand my reading on the conflict than any other. As a "limey" who previously only read about the battles and leaders i can say that this book opened my eyes and understanding of the issues. Thanks to Mr Stampp my own library is now expanding considerably!
I hope that Mr Stampp will not be offended if I describe the book as an excellent primer on the subject.. simply written and without bias.. a book i would recommend to all new students to the subject..