Customer reviews

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 30 October 2016
This book is great. Do you want to increase your vocabulary, but are struggled with finding good strategies for doing so. Well, look no further. This book is divided into chapters explaining new words and its roots, using different techniques to help you increase your vocabulary. The author stresses that you must set and stick to a time plan. Set goals. I try to delve into a new chapter every day, but the important thing is finding a pace that suits you.
on 21 March 2015
Fantastic resource! I had an old tattered copy which I bought many years ago in a charity shop. What a find! I bought two copies for my children and we love them! The teachers always comment positively on the excellence of my children's vocabulary. I love the quizzes and testing myself. Brilliant book!
on 31 March 2016
book very interesting.
I bought this for my son's girlfriend who, although a fluent English speaker, is Romanian and wanted to boost her (already good) vocabulary. This has proved to be a delight - and it's definitely not just for foreign users of English. It is packed full of ideas, quizzes and games to help the reader improve his or her vocabulary - yes, it is a few years old now, and yes the foreign publisher of this particular edition has spelled "grammar" as "grammer" - but the writer himself has wit and knowledge: two good qualities in a teacher. Highly recommended.
on 25 May 2015
This book is perhaps best bought in the paperback form, as there are many exercises throughout the material, for which a pencil would be apt.
Words are grouped according to certain Greek or Latin roots, for example, Medical, Character Types and more.
This book will get you analysing words for their meanings, and comes recommended.
on 26 February 2015
Great book.
on 20 May 2017
All good
on 18 April 2016
Excellent book to expand your vocabulary. It's been written in a way to make learning new words more interesting. And I surely will periodically review the book again to refresh some of the words and their orgins.
on 30 December 2015
If like me you simply wish to improve your vocabulary and add a few more meaningfull words to at least come across a bit more articulate... Forget this book and its oh so easy title?.. Rubbish!... I have since found apps on my phone that realy is for the lay person such as myself...believe me im when i say to the average person they will not understand half of this book... Norman lewis must be so head and shoulders above most people when it comes to his mastery of English that he realy believes he has offered a book that is aimed at your average joe!! .. This is of course only my opinion but im sure a lot of people would agree...... Its misleading, not easy,confusing, and certainly time consuming...
on 27 October 2015
An excellent handbook for reference! I have always believed in Word Power since reading Readers Digest in our doctors waiting room, the inside cover had a list of words to test the readers word power, the answers were on the inside back page. Now I have the ultimate in word power in one place. You can try to read through the book, but for me I like to open any page at random to test myself and learn of words new to me and when to use them.