TOP 500 REVIEWERon 7 January 2017
To set this review in context, I generally prefer novels to short stories and I'm not keen on Jeffery Archer as a person or for his politics. I've recently discovered his talent as an author and enjoyed the Clifton Chronicles series. I have to admit he's an astonishing and gifted storyteller, with a knack for pulling the reader into the heart of the plot. I know he won an award for his short stories and bought this to try them.

They're brilliant. It's not easy to write a gripping short, but each of these tales is tight, with a highly plausible scenario that turns out to be something quite different at the end, hence the punning twist in the tale. These are bite sized shorts; well written and good to devour over a coffee or lunch. I whizzed through them and was disappointed when I clicked the last page. Each one took my by surprise and each had me totally immersed within a few pages. A great mixed selection.
on 9 September 2017
There's some great little twisty stories in this collection. A couple don't get it quite right, but the majority get it spot on.
on 15 August 2017
Jeffrey Archer is without a doubt a master storey teller. Whatever the subject he can surprise the reader with its twists and turns.
on 4 June 2017
one of my first Archer books, ok but better to come
on 13 June 2017
Very Good
on 12 February 2015
Jeffrey Archer is one of the most amazing writers and this is no exception, I never want to put his book's down.
Another winner.
on 18 July 2017
Great purchase
on 30 November 2004
The collection of these simplistic short stories confirms that the author, Jeffrey Archer, caught the exact nerve of common men and their perenial passion for unadulterated entertainment. Jeffrey Archer has accurately depicted each one of these pieces to form a complete and seemingly moralistic episodes. Couple of stories are humourous in themselves while others are quite dramatic and touching. But the driving characteristic of each story is it's amazing climax. Once you realized that the stories have twist in the end, you start guessing the end afterwards and each time you fail. Its only the author who can think of such unbelievable, yet realistic, climax.
Highly recommended for those who don't want to be bothered by involvement of philosophical doses, complexity or mystery.
You either love Jeffrey Archer, or you don't.
But if you love good short stories with a real twist at the end, then you would love this book - regardless of the writer.

They are a great distraction when you don't particularly want to get into a long or complicated plot.

Just well thought out short stories that have a good twist at the end.
A good read first time, and well worth reading again.

Anyway, I hope that this review is helpful in some way when making the decision.
on 10 November 2002
I am a big fan of Jeffrey Archer. I love his long novels and deep characterizations. This book was a bit different for me. When I first purchased it, I didn't know it was a collection of short stories. After reading the first story, I left it sitting by my beside for several weeks, then picked it up and read the rest in two days. The only reason I set it aside was that it surprised me when the first story ended--that's when I discovered it was a book of short stories. (I enjoy Jeffrey Archer so much that I bought it quickly, just looking at his name on the cover, passing through an airport, not noticing this book was not a novel like all his others.)
Most of these stories can be read in 30 minutes, while the first story might take one hour. The book is very appropriately named, because the very end of each story has a bizarrre "twist" that you don't expect. The twist happens literally in the last sentence or two of each story, and the reader is completely surprised.
Compared to most novels, these stories move incredibly fast. In spite of that, characterization is revealed well, as the stories move. There is quite a variety in the stories presented--in one story, he even writes as a woman. I highly enjoyed this book. Anyone who enjoys either short stories, or loves Jeffrey Archer's novels will enjoy it, too. The only reason I have rated it four stars instead of five, is that I personally enjoy novels much more than short stories-short stories end far too quickly for me.