Customer reviews

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 3 October 2014
Another action packed novel involving Honor Harrington, bring on the next one
on 15 November 1998
Honor finally loses bad. Not only is she captured, but she is sentenced to be executed by the head of the Peep's Bureau of Comunications. She also loses sight in one eye, and is dependent upon others for everything. What I loved about this book is how David makes the truly evil bad guys believable, and that there could be very good guys fighting for the Peep's. An excellent yarn with plenty of good sub-plots to keep you up all night. What I like about this series is David's views on politics and military stratagies.
on 25 July 1997
In Enemy Hands violates one of the key rules of series fiction--this episode doesn't end at the book's end--but overall the book significantly advances the series, allowing Weber to develop his characterizations within a solid action plot. We discover reasons to like some members of the People's Republic; we learn more about the psychology of treecats; and Weber gets closer to the female psyche in its many forms. If only his grammar were better! But the book is definitely worth adding to any space opera collection.
on 30 October 1997
I am a real Weber fan, but large parts of this book are somewhat dull. Never thought that I would say that about a Weber book. Large chunks are devoted to convincing you that being the head of a sucessful coup is dangerous and inconvienent, go figure. All is not lost. This book is a modified cliffhanger, and the next one should be great.
on 30 November 1998
I love the Honor Harrington Books, but not this book. It realy left a bad taste in my mouth. Only the beginning and the end held anything good in this book. Bad enough that I had to return it so that seeing the book doesn't spoil my love of Honor Harrington.
on 6 November 2014
A great read with a brilliant story.
on 8 January 1999
A good read if you are already into the series, but not the book to sell you on the series.
The parallels between this series and the Hornblower series are deliberate, although Honor leans more toward the main character of Perils of Pauline than H. Hornblower. But Honor is as tough as sharkskin and as cagey as a Sackett when it comes to taking punishment and maneuvering her opponents into acts that will ruin their day.
David Weber has clearly used the conflicts between England and France in the 18th and 19th centuries as the outline for this series. But that's all right! He does it quite well and the series is internally consistent. Mr. Weber is doing us a great service in continuing this series. We can do no less than buy his books to reward him.
on 5 November 2014
Excellent Space Soap
on 29 May 1998
But the rest of the books is not so hot. The combat scenes are marvelous. If there were ten more of these books out there, I'd read them all in a row to see Harrington put through her paces yet again. I read the Hornblower books as a kid and didn't feel this same pleasure from reading them. I would definitely start from the beginning of the series. These books made me decide to read up on Naval history and tactics (previously I had focused more on military tactics). Happy reading!
on 3 November 1998
I just went back and re-read this to refresh my memory befor reading _Echoes of Honor_. I was surprised at how much I had to struggle to get through the first 30% of the book. It picked up steam after that, though. As a Navy brat with two brothers-in-law who are retired Navy fighter pilots, I must say that Weber has his finger on all that is noble, frustrating, and at times appalling about the military. ..bruce..