on 4 June 2016
just the ticket for a first time mum!
on 12 October 2014
I have raised all my 6 children with this book at my side. Now it is the turn of the grandchildren. The book keeps changing with the times and treats subjects today that were not even thought of back in the sixties.
on 9 January 2013
I used this almost 45 years ago as a reference for my two boys up till about the age of 10 and now my daughters-in-law use it for their children. Visiting over the festive season I noted the book was on the coffee table and had obviously been in use!
on 4 October 2013
Absolutely fundamental book for new parents.No more 3am panics. I give this as a present to all new mums I know.
on 29 June 2016
sent to my daughter
on 14 July 2015
How can any self respecting parents be without this book
on 11 November 2015
God service and fine item
on 26 October 2008
Good old Dr Spock. He is the best. He knows that at heart we all want to raise civil, friendly, happy, confident children, and he shows us how to steer things so we get one. His descriptions of children at different ages and stages - in all their individuality and difference - is spot on. He is so SENSIBLE, and yet he understands the worries of mothers better than any other writer about baby and child care. (Yes! I know he's dead.) It's just that common sense and kindness and generosity of spirit live on in new editions. Don't try to raise a child without a copy. That is my advice.
22 Comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 February 2014
Dr Spock's Baby and Child Care is a great book, but this applies only to the versions written by Dr Spock himself.

Sadly, since he died in 1998 the publishers have used his name as a brand for many books that were not written by him. You might think that this book would be different, seen as Benjamin Spock is listed as its author, but it isn't. The book has been extensively rewritten in such a way that almost everything good about the old versions has been lost.

The beauty of Dr Spock's own version of the book is that speaks sensitively and helpfully about both the emotional and the practical aspects of being a parent. It integrates the two, which is a rare thing. What has happened since is that the book has been rewritten by medical doctors who lack Spock's psychological training. As a result, the later editions focus far too much on giving factual advice. They are crammed full of facts and information (this edition is more than twice the length of the earlier ones), and have been stripped of the wonderfully thoughtful passages that made the original great.

My advice is to get a used copy of the book published before 1998 (when Spock died) - I bought the 7th edition. Later editions do not live up to the book's reputation, but the earlier ones really do and are worth 5 stars!
11 Comment| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 2 September 2011
I bought this book for my daughter, who is expecting our first grandchild, because an earlier edition had been our sole source of guidance when she was born in Fiji, far away from the support of grandparents or even a fully developed medical support network.
Re-reading some of the content I am pleased to note that the same 'common sense' attitude that supports a parent's instincts still pervades the book.
If, like my wife and I, anyone was living on a desert island with a new baby for the following 5 years this is the only book they should need.