on 27 May 2017
very quick very pleased thank yuo will tell friends and family
on 22 July 1998
Shatner did it again! "Avenger" is a good book, but is isn't as good as "The Return". (But if you want to split hairs, I think you would be hard pressed to find a Star Trek novel better than "The Return") Although it features the Next Generation cast, this story is mainly about Kirk and Spock on their respective missions. Kirk to find the cure to the virus that has Starfleet placing entire star systems under quarantine. Spock searching for proof that his father Sarek was murdered. They intertwine with the Enterprise-E crew to make a story that will have you guessing until the end. It also does one heck of a job explaining Kirk's survival from the Borg Homeworld. "Avenger" also sets up the next novel in the series, "Spectre". A must read if you love Star Trek!
on 14 July 1999
The story isn't bad, a little disjointed at times, but when you near the end you realize the end is not near! I saw no indication on the cover or Amazon's info. to indicate the story was incomplete. I would think there should be some indication that this is one of a series, and where in the sequence it lies.
on 5 June 1998
Picard is fantastic, Sisko is great and Janeway gets better and better in every episode, but face it, Kirk is the original, the real one. And I'm glad there are people left who care about Kirk. Well, in my opinion no one cares more about Kirk than Shatner. That Shatner is a science fiction author who is able to tell a story - you can see that in his TekEtc series. His Star Trek books are good stuff and a good read and it's relieving to see that Kirk, Spock and even McCoy are still around and not dead to the creators of Star Trek. The books of Shatner tell good stories which fit into the Star Trek universe neatly; to me the most important part is that Kirk is back - to kill Kirk would mean to kill a valid part of Star Trek. Let Kirk be dead for the movie-goers. For the rest of us who where there in the seventies or even the sixties: Kirk is alive - and that's a fact!
on 20 April 1999
Avenger is the kind of book that I both liked and didn't like at the same time. The virogen crisis and the intrigue surrounding Sarek's supposed murder kept me reading it, but a few other things made me want to stop. First, Mr. Shatner way overglorified James Kirk. Kirk was basically described as being the greatest hero the Federation had ever known, especially evident in the thoughts of a certain female officer he meets up with. Second, Kirk's philosophy concerning the balance of nature was more than a little hard for me to swallow, especially considering that it was coming from James Kirk of all people. And third, the subplot that gave the book its name was just too weird for me to accept. Overall, I think this book was well-written with some nice character development, but the things I listed above kept me from rating it any higher than three stars.
on 12 December 1998
In Avenger Shatner finally invents his own characters instead of relying on regular Trek characters from tv and film. I like the relationship btwn Cmdr. MacDonald and Dr. M'Benga but MacDonald calling M'Benga "Bones" was too corny and uninventive. Shatner should try to create more of his own Starfleet characters more often instead of relying on characters from DS9, Voyager, and Next Generation. Shatner also should work on using less narration and more dialogue between the characters in his story. Too much narration makes for a boring read. I have to say this is the best one even though I am currently reading Spectre by Shatner.
on 22 July 1998
William Shatner has done an excellent job yet again. This book was fabulous! I especially liked the part where Kirk and the escaped from the Vulcan space dock\prison. There was also some great action such as the battle between the Tobias and the enemy ships in the atmosphere of Teilani's home planet.(I forgot what it was called, thought it had something to do with the children of heaven or something.) I myself am a fan of Mr. Shatner and have read Avenger, Return, Ashes of Eden, and am currently reading Spectre. This happens to be one of my most favorite Star Trek books.
on 2 August 1999
This novel is all right, but it's a story that would have been fine for Picard and crew to handle. True, it gives us a chance to learn that Kirk was not killed at the end of "The Return", but there just isn't the excitement and suspense as there was in "The Return". However, if you are going to continue with the other reads after this one, such as "Spectre" and "Dark Victory", then you'll need to read this one to understand how Kirk is resurrected again.
Otherwise, a rather weak entry into Shatner's trilogy.
on 18 June 1998
You can't keep a good man down. In Star Trek, they don't even stay dead. First Spock, and now Captain Kirk. Although the idea is completly contrived, I can't stay away. Kirk is alive and well. And yes I will read Spectre also. As much I enjoy seeing the Next Gen crew on the big screen, I never wanted to see Kirk die anyway. Did any Star Trek fan?
on 2 January 1999
I never really trusted books written by actors so I stayed away from William Shatner for awhile. However, I saw Avenger at my library and couldn't resist. It is a great book with an original plot. It is so different from those go-lucky Federation always wins stories. I like the part about Spock and his father too.