on 29 March 2016
It didn't work on me... but I still like the theory.
on 1 October 2015
I owe my life to this book.

Stop drinking.

That is all.
on 20 July 2006
If anyone has a drug problem , or family member with a drug problem , this is the book to have . Forget any outside help , this is the self cure . The best book I've read on curing addictions for good .
on 8 August 2014
I am not really a review writer. In fact this is my wife's account, but I simply had to come on to review this life changing book and encourage others to take a look.

You will notice I have given it 4 out of 5 stars. The only reason for this is because I felt a certain portion of the book spent a little too long proving A.A wrong. I can see another reviewer give the book 1 star for this reason, which in fairness is a little silly and knee-jerk. It reeks of an A.A attendee who will neither hear nor tell of any method outside of A.A. Lets be honest and fair about these things folks. We all want abstinence at the end of the day. Don't bash this book because you're grown to the A.A hip. That just reinforces the author's opinion of the hold A.A has on it's members.

I can see where the author is coming from because of the negative global impact A.A has had on recovery, but I feel that anybody who "gets" the AVRT technique will automatically realize why A.A works for only a small percentage of it's members and it really does push people back into relapse. It's an understandably sore point for the author who genuinely wants the world to wake up and consider options away from A.A that actually work.

A social worker and colleague of mine recommended the book when I spoke to him about having created a problem drinking addiction for myself. Bear in mind, he wasn't a social worker working for me, but merely a friend. I am what people would describe a functioning professional addict who works Monday to Friday, but binge drank on weekends.

Due to the mass media, medical and legal push that A.A have on the world, I believed I probably had an incurable disease, thought I was crazy and I would never get out of the drink, abstain, relapse cycle. As I had succumb to the common misconception that alcohol is a disease I would be unable to shake, that gave me a wonderful and convenient reason to relapse. I am no different to someone suffering from Cancer, and Cancer sufferers feel pain, therefore any cravings I get are no different to the pain symptoms those with Cancer get.

After 50 pages of Rational Recovery I knew I would never drink again, and I would never change my mind on it. I knew I would never have to attend a support group, because the technique I learnt was now inside of me. The technique is all the support you need. It also works for any substance abuse, and my wife has now started to use it successfully for comfort eating. Incredible.

I am not going to spend the time explaining it. There are free, online resources where you can do a "Crash Course" in the AVRT technique. A quick google search will bring up the rational dot org page.

If you're reading this review, go take the time to check out the crash course. It will take you 20 minutes, it's free and it is the core of this book. Low star reviews can really throw someone into doubt, and I do not think any low-star reviews on this book come even close to a fair assessment.

I'm shocked at how easy it is and I am blown away at what the future now holds for me
on 8 September 2012
Having been addicted to both alcohol and drugs for 40 years, and now being 'clean' for 5 years, and working in both the drugs and mental health field what a relief to find that Jack Trimpy holds almost the same views as me! Having been coerced into the 'ordination' of the 12 Step Programme, twice by the courts, I always felt that AA was not much more that a religious cult, endeavouring to retain members by brainwashing us into believing that that we are diseased, and doomed to be in 'recovery' for the rest of our lives! I hold no religious opinions myself but do know that neither religion, nor any 'higher power' played any part in my ridding myself of my addictions. We selfishly choose to become addicts, and we do it to intoxicate ourselves, yet we blame our past, parents, environment etc. and in my view, this is not the reason that we self-intoxicate, but we do so merely because we like intoxication! Ultimately, if we wish for abstinence we need to do this by using the power of our own minds. And believe me, addicts need powerful minds to maintain their addiction, let's face it an addict will walk 20 miles, barefoot, in 10 foot of snow, and skint, to get a bag of 'gear'. That's a pretty powerful mind in my book.
Of course a 'recovering' addict needs support, and I personally support many through my work. However, the support AA gives seems to revolve around keeping you 'diseased', making moral inventories, admitting you are 'powerless' over your drink/drug, and submitting all to your God...whoever that may be. Non of this stuff is necessary, I know, because I've done it, and without all this rubbish!
Though I don't agree with everything in this book, on the whole it makes a lot of sense, and is a very interesting, and refreshing alternative to the AA culture, which in my opinion aims to keep you bogged down in addiction forever.(for both political, and financial reasons) I recommend this book to any person struggling with addiction, and looking for an alternative to AA. Also, workers in the industry, and families or friends of an addict.
I have just read the book twice, put some of its concept into my own working practices, and having some very positive results. I rest my case!
If you have any views around this subject, either one way, or another, and from whatever background, I'd love to hear from you. You can message me at edmonds122@btinternet.com
Enjoy the book!
on 9 April 2001
I read this book not knowing what I'd find. As soon as I began reading it I could strongly identify with the 'beast' inside an addicts head which leads them to drink or drugs against their better judgement. I see most of Jack's thinking about AA and although I know AA is not for me it does suit some people. I have made a 'Big Plan' as suggested and it has worked for me. I feel that anyone who is struggling with their addiction or struggling with AA should read this book. I think it's good for AA people to be challenged like this and Jack Trimpey certainly does that! All in all, a must read even if you don't agree with the thinking behind it.
on 19 February 1999
I spent three years of my life at horrible A.A. meetings. I hostaged my family for my new family, the one who kept telling me keep comming back, it works. The only thing that it worked was me away from my husband and my children. A.A. is a cult, flat out. I still drank, but at least had someplace where people understood and loved me anyway. What a load of rot! Thank God for Jack Trimpey. He brought me back to my family and to my God given ability to overcome anything. After reading the book, the Cure, I knew that all of this powerlessness stuff was trumped up in order for the A.A. group to keep control of the individual. Truly there is a sickness in this country. We are all giving up control and responsibility. Read the book and wake up! Give it to anyone you know who is still caught in A.A. Better yet, buy a few and go to an A.A. meeting. Hand them out, then you will truly be doing service for your fellow man!
22 Comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 January 2015
I have not had a drink for 3 weeks since reading this book and I am so unbelievably happy that at last I have found the answer I have been searching for. For the past 15 years I have drank far too much wine nearly every night. I have tried AA a few times. I have gone bankrupt twice and had become just so exasperated with myself for not being able to get my life in order. And now I understand why. I know I will never drink again and that is a miracle. I am not white knuckling, I don't have to go explain or make amends to anyone. I "got" it right away. I have never written a review before but am very grateful to those who did before me. I didn't even read every page just skipped through to find what I needed. Amazing! I feel free from that evil liquid at last :)
on 20 June 2017
Wouldnt mind returning this, but I suppose it may be useful at some point. Lets face it, reading a book and even if you do buy into this, wont keep you sober if you dont get out and about and social with people who are.
on 23 October 1998
I thank you Jack. Your book was very helpful. Your compassion is commendable. But as to a "beast" occupying my mind with which I commune, in the third person yet? Well, yes, I suppose there is,as there is in all of us, and I have no doubt this message will be interpreted as beast-inspired, but then, how could it be, it doesn't involve a desire to drink. Oh, but the beast is very clever isn't it? Yes, of course it is. It's not me writing this at all. I may have no desire to drink now, but my beast knows this of course, it's setting me up, for future imbibition. I'm being facetious, of course, but for demonstrative purposes, for herein lies the problem, or at least the problem as I see it. I'm sorry, Jack, but the notion of a "beast", a separate, distinct entity occupying my being, residing, lurking in the dark corridors of my ancestral mind, communing with me, well, I have a hard time with this, a natural aversion, yes, a beastly aversion I suppose. I am I, all of me. I'm whole. Yes, I'm made up of good and evil, as all of us are, but it's this conflict, this dichotomy (hey, there's a good word, did I spell it correctly) that drives us, sustains us. It is that very beast in us that provides us with the will to struggle, and through that struggle we learn compassion and love and honor. You could never of written this book, Jack, without your beast. Sounds absurd to you I imagine. I cannot, I will not surrender to this notion of a beast separate from me, a beast that deserves to be rediculed and ultimately destroyed. I think there is a danger in this kind of thought. Still, I've read your book (twice)and it's a good book and it's offered me guidance and I thank you, and I thank your beast.