Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 February 2008
Although this book might hold lots of things 'you could have thought of yourself', you don't always have the time or energy to get that grey matter working again when you have one or more little ones. This is therefore a great book you can just pick up and find an idea.If you need anything to 'play the game' you will more than not already have it in your home. Ideas incorporate rainy play indoors as well as ideas outdoors and includes creative stuff as well as physical play. Also, it has some great recipes for doughs etc.
on 17 August 2009
This book was just great. It's amazing how many simple things amuse a child! And once you start following and reading about the different ideas you start coming up with your own- I guess it teaches you to think what recyclable objects could give your child a learning experience. I don't go buy an expensive toy just because my daughter is bored now- I do something much more interactive using objects much more relevant to everyday life.
on 4 June 2013
I know that some reviewers have found the suggestions in this book unoriginal. However, this book is great for the rest of us. I would consider this an ideal lead on from Miriam Stoppard's 'Baby's First Skills'. A lot of the activities could easily be classed as developing skill(s). Some activities are more suitable for older toddlers but I found plenty of low cost ideas to keep my young toddler occupied. You may have read the criticisms of the tissue box game but there is also the more long term suggestion of a sacrifical box (an old tissue box stuffed with scarves - the latter of which can be easily sourced from scrap fabric or charity shops). This book subtly encourages creative thinking in adults too and has given me back weekends of happy play with my child - instead of frantic & stressed out days at a loss as to how to entertain my clearly bored child without buying more toys or singing the same songs again/feeling like an inadequate parent.
on 8 May 2002
If you only buy one resource book of ideas on how to entertain and at the same time educate your toddler, then look no further than this book. It's packed to the brim with creative, fun, intelligent and inspirational activities for you to do with your child - whatever the weather! Most activities can be done with one child or with several. Most of the activities don't demand any more than objects found around the house. Many times I've struggled with trying to think of something 'new' and 'fun' to do with my bored toddler, and I can always find something in this book. The only reason it doesn't get that extra star is that a few of the 'ingredients' of some of the more complicated activities or recipies have US/Canadian ingredients without equivalent UK alternatives. But that should not be enough to put you off!! Buy it, you won't be disappointed!
on 23 August 2002
After countless hours, days, months of trying to keep my restless toddler amused (18 months old) I finally gave in and admitted defeat. I am so glad I did. This book has a massive range of activities, and there's always an idea for a rainy day.
It has inspired me to think of my own new ways of playing with my son, and gives lots of suggestions for simple and fun activities to do when you're stuck for ideas.
I am going to recommend this book to all my friends with kids as I think it's an absolute necessity for anybody with young children.
on 25 January 2013
'Give them a box of tissues to pull out the tissues'....? My 12 month old thought of that all by himself.

Really if you own pans, boxes, a tv remote, a washing machine, books, windows to look out of, cupboards, spoons, a few toys, a voice, a face, know a few other humans and ever leave the house you have more than enough entertainment for toddlers of this age. You don't need ideas from this book unless you yourself are bored. Your toddler is unlikely to be. Hang tough for a 'pre-school' book, art/ activity ideas will be worth a look at then.
on 2 December 2008
i can't rave about this book enough. Great ideas. Have been looking for ways to entertain my 18mth old whilst feeding my newborn. Simple, easy, fun ideas.
on 5 February 2015
A few good ideas but some so obvious you'd have to be a complete moron not to have already tried them and some downright ridiculous - the box of tissues for a start. That would go down well when visiting friends or relations when your child starts pulling all their tissues out! And much of the book is stuff that you would pretty much already be doing with your child! Talk about teaching grandma to suck eggs! Only wish I'd written it
on 5 January 2014
This book is well worth purchasing. It has several activities that uses products that you already have in your home. What I found useful was going through the book with yellow stickies and flagging activities I knew my children would love to do. On a day that they were bored or I wanted to plan an activity I just picked one of the yellow stickies. I found the playdough recipe very good...it's far cheaper than buying.
on 15 May 2013
GREAT, FULL OF BRILL INFO AND HINTS. GOOD FOR NEW RHYMES AND GAMES AND TIME PASSERS FOR CHILDREN UPTO AGE OF 3