Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 24 August 1998
I don't particularly like stories about the frontier, specially if they're set in the past, but being Linda Howard who wrote this book, i decided to try it. Man, was I glad I tried it! This story is full of unconditional love, suspense, and most important of all--the journey to discover that we're all granted more than a chance in life.
"Annie Parker came to Silver Mesa, Arizona, b/c it was the only place she'd found where folks thought a woman doctor was better then no doctor at all. Her lonely life became harder still on the winter night Rafe McCay broke into her office with a bullet in his side and a bounty hunter at his back. With a gun aimed at her heart, he led her deep into the Arizona moutains, and into a world of danger and passion, for Annie doscovered Rafe not only a wounded man, but a soul betrayed...and Rafe, healed by her skill and the magic of her hands, awakened in Annie a woman's tender longing and hungry desire..."
on 26 April 1999
I've read several of Linda's books - "Son of the Morning","Angel Creek", "Lady of the West", etc. She never fails to engage my imagination. Each of her characters is in a struggle with outside and inside forces and she gives them a run for their money. This book is somewhat like the others, but she did rush the story and the characters aren't quite as fleshed out as I believe she would have liked. I think someone at the publishing house rushed her to get this to print.
VINE VOICEon 30 April 2011
Nope, sorry, not for me, didn't finish this - gave up at the end of chapter 7.

Our heroine is kidnapped, terrorized, endlessly threatened with being shot, forced at gunpoint to strip, tied up, forced to share a bed and other intimacies (like not giving her privacy to pee) with a man she didn't know (this is the 19th century - not modern day), and almost raped one morning, which was, of course, partly her fault after for responding while half sleep to his attempt to have intercourse.

What had me almost throwing the book across the room about a third of the way in was her melting and asking him to make love to her. The event that follows is at least realistic in that it hurts like hell and she doesn't enjoy it. He then compounds her humiliation by forcing her to let him wash and anoint her sore bits - talk about piling on the shame! Now maybe he turns out to be a real sweetie underneath, but he shames her, and at the time they first have sex, he was presented essentially as a nasty, manipulating man who wanted a bit of nookie.

So no, I won't finish this. Ms Howard can sometimes skirt a bit close to overweening male domination for my liking (one part of Shades of Twilight comes to mind) but then she writes something like Cry No More which is brilliant, so I keep trying!
on 22 August 2011
Linda Howard is great at a good old-fashioned romantic read (with the more modern bits of "hot stuff" thrown in!) Most of her "heroes" I couldn't possibly put up with in reality (overbearing male chauvinists, springs to mind!) in whatever period she is writing about, but somehow she manages to suspend my natural cynical self & give me a story, which involves & entertains me. No mean feat!
on 2 August 1999
This story sizzled from start to finish. When Linda Howard writes a really good love story (and this one was), there's just nobody better.
on 18 September 2015
What can I say? Linda Howard does it again - I really enjoyed this story.
I would recommend anyone who hasn't read any of her stories to give them a go (especially the Mackenzie series - these are great).
on 30 May 2011
I've had this book for a while and re-read it a number of times. Linda Howard is a master at making a place come alive. Her description of Annie's kidnap and the hut that they seek refuge in is masterful. Howard has really thought about how it would look, sound and feel to be in that situation. A previous reviewer found all these details not to her liking, but for me this is what brought it alive. Her characters are fully fleshed and believable and the increasing intimacy of the couple seemed quite natural to me. It's now an old favourite.
on 1 August 2001
Howard is a great romance novelist and she never fails to enchant the reader. If you like this you will like all of her others.
on 9 March 2013
I love Linda Howard's books as they usually have a good strong plot, purposeful and likeable characters and a few surprises along the way. I enjoyed this one, although the section where they are stuck during hte snow storm became rather tedious - and predictable - but it was worth staying with it and I did enjoy it and will read it again. Ending was a bit weak - almost as if she knew what the ending was but the book was going to be too long if she wrote it properly.
on 25 December 2014
good book one of my favourite authors
as tells a good story