Customer reviews

In My Shoes: A Memoir
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 7 October 2013
As a huge fashion fan I was really looking forward to this book. I visited the first Jimmy Choo store in London in 1999 and a few more over the years, and have read countless articles about the seemingly glossy and almost perfect lifestyle of Tamara Mellon. This book was such a revelation as it completely lifted the cover on all that gloss and told the real story. Money can't buy you a happy childhood, and the one that Tamara experienced I wouldn't swap mine in working class Liverpool for anything. The continuing theme in the book is her love and respect for her father, who helped her start the Jimmy Choo label as we know it today. This is not a story just out of Hello magazine, it contains all the boardroom backstabbing in great detail. I learned a lot about Tamara - that nothing stops her from working, that her daughter is her priority, and that even though she did start with the financial backing of her father she turned that £150,000 investment into a £100 million dollar company. Not bad for a girl who didn't pass her 'O' levels! Not once are we asked to show sympathy or empathise, this lady is hard on herself, too. I couldn't put this book down and I hope the the Tamara Mellon brand will go on to achieve great things. My only wish? That there had been more photos. But apart from that, it's a fabulous read!
on 21 May 2017
An eye-opener of what an uphill battle it can be, when egos and small minded people are at the helm. Pure admiration for Tamara and the demons she has had to defeat. A must read for anyone, especially women, considering the board (battle)-room. Another good reason why we need more women in business, to negotiate deals based on facts, sound business acumen and compassion. Egos have no place in business.
on 13 August 2017
Well done tamaremellon
Superb page Turner highly recommend this book such a dazzling insight Into this private world
Female hardship
on 14 August 2017
I really enjoyed this- it was recommended by a friend and I've recommended it to others since
on 11 October 2013
Totally awesome book, arrived in perfect condition and faster than I expected.
Really please. Love her entrepreneurial spirit and radical candour. She's a great role model for any woman wishing to craft her own financial empire. A true inspiration and my latest feminist icon. Thank you Tamara Mellon
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 23 August 2014
The book was kind of fascinating for all the wrong reasons. It was a bit like rubber necking a car crash and left much the same bad taste in my mouth.

Mellon does not come out of this terribly sympathetically. I absolutely believe that money cannot buy you happiness and that it is possible to have a miserable, poisoned existence even if you do have oodles of money, but there has to be a sense of grace in writing about it that doesn't leave people who don't have the kind of financial backing and generous friends Mellon clearly does, feeling less than inclined to sympathise, and this book doesn't have that grace. It is clunkily written and rather repetitive. The sections that deal with high finance business buy outs were tricky to read and boring unless you're very interested in that kind of thing, and as most people who read this presumably won't be, it means the book is rather uneven.

The book is badly written and much of what she is trying to say is badly expressed and shows her in a poor light. Which is a shame. I imagine that she would not have been allowed to write the way she did about her family and fellow business men had what she said not been true, otherwise she would have been slapped with massive law suits, so you can see that she has every right to be slightly unhinged and upset, but given that, the fact that she still comes across as tricky to like is hard to swallow.
on 24 August 2015
Disappointing rubbish. Poor me me me Tamara, I was such a hard working princess and everyone but Daddy was mean to me. Self indulgent mean unhinged and delusion more like. Waste of money and so badly written. Like closer with no pictures and do you believe what's written in that?
on 8 October 2014
If you're expecting an insight into the world of celebrity and glamour that you would expect from Tamara Mellon or the the world of Jimmy Choo, you'll be very disappointed in this book, as I was. It reads as a totally self absorbed memo of how Tamara lost control of Jimmy Choo through a history of ill informed decisions. None of which was her fault, as she tells us again, and again. Sadly, it's a dull read and tells you nothing about Tamara's life other than how put upon she was whilst working at Jimmy Choo.
on 20 August 2015
I wasn't sure to expect with this but I felt by the end Mellon didn't come across to well.

This is the story of her life and the legal in and outs of the Jimmy Choi business
on 20 July 2014
This was utterly me, me me. The poor girl was only offered £100k by her father for her wedding and had to find the rest herself! Incidentally, that was a further $400k!!
She berates her partners for finding her self centred and vain but I can't imagine she put in the hours most of us working in the fashion industry have done over the years, with San Lorenzo to go to each night etc.

Having run two design business's-I wouldn't have wanted a partner like Ms Mellon and can see why each of the private equity partners was keen to see her off! She was more interested in her own brand of Tamara than her team.

This is badly written at best but a great insight in to a woman I had more respect for before reading her book! Not a job well done!