Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 June 2015
Wow! What a story. I cannot imagine how Natascha remained so strong for that long and highly doubt whether many, including myself, would have remained that strong for that long. I am glad I read the book and for the insight I got as why she did not escape at the first opportunity. When someone has messed with your head for that long it must be difficult to ascertain what is real and what is made up from the mind of the kidnapper and as she pointed out, many times, she was reliant on him to stay alive.
To the book layout and composition itself - bearing in mind this is a true story, it cannot be possible to make her time in the cellar any more interesting or flowery than it already wasn't. She had to get across that it was over eight years of total hell in both the mind numbingly tediousness of her situation and the length of time it went on for.
Perhaps the time in the cellar part could have been shortened in the book as although it is the main focus of the book, it is (hopefully) a short part of her life. i wanted to know more about what happened when she got out. Were there any repercussions? What did the neighbours think afterwards - had they, on hindsight noticed anything during those eight years or so. What about the lady who finally called the police - what thoughts went through her head? Natascha mentions that the lady she first tried to talk to in the ski resort rest room had not understood her as she was foreign as she found out later. How did she know this? What about the police dog handler whose lead, had it been followed, may have led to her freedom a lot sooner. What did her friends and family think and feel over the years she was missing? What about the family of the kidnapper? So they have anything to say?
on 13 June 2017
I am very grateful for this book being written in so many ways, but none more so than hearing her own words, which even now seem amazing to have been written at all.
A ten year old child lived this life, and thanks to how human nature works, will always be living it. I only find incredulity from the evil that touched her life, and perhaps always will.
I took my time reading her life's words, stopping on practically every page, to imagine ten year old me in that situation and knowing totally that I would have broken in both mind and body.
Natascha didn't ask for this to happen, and I am not at all surprised at her dismay of what has been written about her, like she is an object to be opined over, then dismissed. I don't try to understand the horror she lived, . I only empathise, because I luckily, have never found myself as lost as she became, in what has been proven to be a very opinionated world, where victims do what they are told and perform for us when we wish.
I applaud Ms Kampusch for her bravery and honesty and not being what others want her to be. I can only hope that she finds beauty each day and continues being who she always was, a real person who refused to be broken.
Her story had to be told, maybe now we can stop judging her for the choices she made to survive, and perhaps reflect some judgement on ourselves, for ever thinking we were owed an explanation.
A wonderfully written book that brings renewed appreciation to the most basic of of human needs, hearing what is being said and casting no judgement. I can only hope she will be left alone now, to live her life as she sees fit and be remembered for her dignity and strength in the face of unimaginable neglect.
on 4 March 2016
A great book .I think it could be classified as a memoir as it is written in a auto -biographical manner .It also gave insight into her early life experiences before the abduction .Though some reviews say she does not go deep enough into detail and is quite detached and cold I disagree.She was vulnerable from this experience and its shows that she is not trying to sensationalise this to please the public she gives enough detail and perspective so we can understand how someone could go to such extremes and in-prison her for 8 years and records her abuse in a detached way,that in my opinion shows maturity .I really doubt anyone would want to go any deeper into detail as it leaves you open to exaggeration or down playing further experiences in the writing .I think she showed she was not a victim by her gripping onto love for her family and her identity.As in she is not someone we should pity but someone we should respect for being so resourceful in the face of adversity.This love and hope runs through the book .It is told in a storytelling style and she cites certain books that helped her understand and contextualise her experience while their and after (Alice and Wonderland). I think that Natascha should be lauded for her strength of spirit and courage.She also has great skill as a writer .I could not put this book down .I agree that she should not be dismissed for unearthing the lack of professionalism and the limits of police services due to politics and money or feeling compassion towards her kidnapper who was a very ill man.This girl was treated poorly by the media who were responding to the uncomfortable truths this kidnapping unearthed about our society and not accurately shedding light on the experiences of Natascha or the miscarriage of justice that kept her there for so long.I hope now with her own life and more freedom she can heal from this experience and continue to grow .I'm glad she set the record straight.She is far more a hero then a victim in my eyes after reading her own words on this experience.
on 29 June 2017
A fascinating insight into what she went through, what she is still going through. She writes beautifully and intelligently, never wallowing or sensationalising. I could not out this down and have nothing but respect and admiration for such a strong and powerful woman. She's amazing
on 31 August 2013
Although the book didn't really grip me, I still give it a 4 star rating because I do feel it to be really lucid and well written. I also find it amazing that, given what this young woman went through, she still managed to come out of it such a, seemingly, mature and confident individual. The book is an insightful and highly intelligent account of the traumatic events leading up to and encompassing 3,096 days in captivity in an Austrian cellar.
on 29 July 2017
I found this book detailed. Natascha chose to not describe the sexual abuse, but described the emotional and physical abuse. It's amazing that she survived the beatings. The lost opportunities to escape were frustrating.
on 11 July 2017
I found this book an enjoyable compelling read and I greatly admire the courage and strength shown not only during her time kept in captivity but also in recalling the awful treatment that she had to contend with after her escape.
on 30 May 2017
A horrific tale well written. I am amazed at Natascha's inner strength and perception of how she must react in order to survive.......and that such was vested in one so very young at the time of her experience.
on 8 June 2017
A tragic and terrible ordeal for the young girl, difficult to read in parts because of the way she analyses her imprisonment. Very sad.
on 5 September 2016
A well written moving account of the harrowing captivity in which Natasha was held. Very moving.