on 5 April 2011
I heard James Caan on the radio and rushed out to get his book. I thought it would be good for my CV business. It was better than expected. Not just the same old same old, but some innovative ideas on how to get yourself noticed, how to make the interviewer's life easier and to get the job you want. Full of tips, very easy to read with his personality leaping off the page. If I was searching for a job I would be inspired to try some of his techniques. I'm recommending it to all my clients. It's the only CV writing/job hunting book I've read to the end.
on 24 November 2012
This is a man who has been there, and come out top. When someone is successful already, and you also want success, i don't see how you could do it without finding and getting advice from those who are already successful. Its like deciding to go to the gym 3 times a week, with the aim to become very muscular and strong, and asking you friend (who's maybe only been about 10 times in the last year) on tips and trick. Why? Is it not more logical to ask a personal trainer? or if that's too expensive, ask a guy who already has those muscles that you long for? Who's been going gym for over 3,4,5 10+ years? The answer's obvious. If someone's been there and come out with positive result's. that's the person you ask for advice. I recommend this book to anybody looking to improve their life. I also recommend the book ''The Real Deal: My Story from Brick Lane to the Dragons' Den'' This book will almost certainly increase your motivation and help you realise your own potential. All the best!!!

P.S. The books superb! What more can i say...
on 19 April 2011
It was a good book full of useful and practical advice - it is down to each reader to implement the advice. James Caan shares his unique insight as a ruthless employer and a person like most CEOs focused solely on their company, its objectives and why he would hire a person to come and serve the cause.

Most people will read this and be satisfied with their purchase - it is not a standalone book, but requires one to work through it and at the end no doubt refine notes, presentations and purpose.

All in all I'm glad I bought it.
on 12 January 2011
Great book and great timing - it's harder than ever to get the job you want, so you need to be smart to beat the competition. It's all about doing 100 things 1% better, rather than one thing 100% better. Just like that rugby coach once said!
on 2 April 2013
In some ways this must have been a fairly easy book for James Caan to write. In it, he recounts his 30 years + experience as a recruiter, interviewer and owner of recruitment businesses. The thread throughout is that if 90 % are doing one thing, always look to do the other - seek to be different and think laterally !
The other element I found so effective is this is a man who "walks the walk and talks the talk". In the section on presentation he talks about he importance of polished shoes, filed nails and crisp shirts. Being aware of who James Caan is is important because we know he has worked so hard to be the polished performer who runs businesses and performs so effortlessly in front of camera. He conveys them in this book. Excellent !
on 4 August 2013
This book breaks down into details the tricks of having a successfully job interview. More significantly for me was the preparation to be completed before hand and the use of question to identify exactly what the interviewer is looking for. Similarly, how to react to feedback given was very interesting and effective. James did amazingly well in this book with examples one can relate to. I would recommend this book to anyone who's been unsuccessful in looking for a job, and even for those who are experienced in this field, they'll learn a lot.
on 28 June 2013
There are some amazing ideas in this book to improve your employability...not only whne looking for anew role but also for your current role, with the view to bag a promotion. Thinking about how you can add value to the company, giving some ideas for potential questions to ask in an interview, and ways to approach a copany for the job you want even if you havent got the right qualification.

I would suggest reading this alongside "Good to Great" and "Start with Why"
on 25 July 2016
I began reading from the front cover but later skipped around to find the relevant parts for me and my circumstances; this turned out to be the best thing as there are a number of points that may or may not be useful and I feel you could waste a lot of time reading everything, hence my 4 star rating. That said, I applied what I felt was useful and.... I got the job I really wanted, (and several others that I interviewed for at the same time)...

My advice, note down the principle techniques, practice them during interviews for less desired jobs and then go for it...
on 5 August 2014
James has written an excellent guide to getting that perfect job. It has worked very well in conjunction with my enrolment with a Career Agency and has ratified many of their processes and advice.

A great informative and well written guide.
on 16 August 2013
If anyone is looking for a new job, pitching for freelance work or going through a redundancy than this is the book to read. James' style of writing is easy going, it is like he is there with you talking through his points. Using his tips and suggestions I have just won my first freelance contract. If, in the unlikely event, I ever meet James I would love to buy him a drink.