on 4 April 2016
Anne Frank is a true, real hero! Books of this quality can never be forgotten in human time. This book should be past from father to son in all family's for eternity! A book of such importance, such as this should be handed to each family generation free of charge by the governments, as
the past events of history can never be forgotten and in a time when such atrocities were committed by all sides, we can not forget that we loss a humanity!
In our schools and to our friends or family's and in general life, story's of heroism, hero's, selfishness and of what is truly right, should be told before any story of Nazism or devilry.
If my son is to ask me in years to come..."Tell me about the Nazis and of Adolf Hitler", i will reply simply...."First i shall tell you about all the hero's that fought against Adolf Hitler and their family's. There was once a young girl called Anne Frank who received a diary"..........
on 30 April 2015
This is 70th edition anniversary edition of Anne’s book, it is an amalgamation of all her writing, including parts her father had censored, about thirty percent more text than other editions. A must read for all, it will show a more complex individual and a more expanded explanation for some of the living situation.
Anne died In 1945 in Bergen-Belsen concentration camp in April or March of that year, she was 15 years old, her crime was to be a jew, for two year of her short life she lived in hiding and left this remarkable document of mans inhumanity.
She was a precocious intelligent girl, that loved life and nature as she tells us many times in her diary. She was a teeneger like many teenagers, fighting with her mother, preoccupied with her own growing up. loving, hating, crying, laughing while imprisoned behind a bookcase with eight other people, keeping quiet and invisible, while pouring her heart out into a diary that makes her come alive through the haze of time.
We will never know any other destiny for this remarkable little woman and jet she achieved some of her dreams by writing her diary and showing us that she was a person first last and always. That she was never a label but the singular, the great Anne Frank.

“5 April 1944: I finally realized that I must do my schoolwork to keep from being ignorant, to get on in life, to become a journalist, because that's what I want! I know I can write ..., but it remains to be seen whether I really have talent ...
And if I don't have the talent to write books or newspaper articles, I can always write for myself. But I want to achieve more than that. I can't imagine living like Mother, Mrs. van Daan and all the women who go about their work and are then forgotten. I need to have something besides a husband and children to devote myself to! ...
I want to be useful or bring enjoyment to all people, even those I've never met. I want to go on living even after my death! And that's why I'm so grateful to God for having given me this gift, which I can use to develop myself and to express all that's inside me!
When I write I can shake off all my cares. My sorrow disappears, my spirits are revived! But, and that's a big question, will I ever be able to write something great, will I ever become a journalist or a writer?”
— Anne Frank
on 5 November 2006
This is an amazing book. By the end, you real feel like you know Anne. She's an incredible girl, and tells of her amazing journey through teenage life in hiding. This book is filled with powerful emotions, there are sad bits, frightening bits and happy bits. I just couldn't put it down. As you read about Anne's life, you began to feel you know her, and when you find out what happens to her at the end, it real feels like loosing a member of your family. I was in tears. She's such a brave girl, and didn't deserve such an awful life. Read it, it really is an amazing story.
Review originally posted on A Frolic Through Fiction (book blog): [...]

RATED 4.5/5 STARS

I feel like this book has changed me somehow.

Even though this is the first non-fiction book I’ve actually enjoyed enough to finish, I somehow knew I’d love this book. I adore history. One of my favourite genres is historical fiction, though I can’t say I’ve read much of it yet. I’m always eager to learn more about history, and the stories I hear really stay with me. So this fascination was sure to set me up for a good read.

Right from the start I appreciated how honest Anne Frank was as a person. Partially because of her young age, partially because it was just her personality, not that much from this book is sugar coated in way of details. Sure, she’s hidden away and doesn’t see the brunt of the war while writing her diary, but even from the events that do happen to her and her family, you can tell just how much the war had affected everyone.

I’m pretty sure most people have at least heard the basis of Anne Frank’s story. Before starting this book, I knew that she and her family had hidden in an “attic” for ages during the war. And it didn’t end well. That’s all I knew. And really, that’s all most people know, unless they read up on the story. So seeing how much more complicated their hiding was, I couldn’t quite believe it. And yet… I feel like that’s why this book affected me so much.

Before reading this book, everything I had ever heard from history had been taught to me during history lessons, through my own research, or through a fictional character. So to read this book and know that once upon a time, this actually DID happen? To real people? That…really struck a chord with me.

Especially when I saw the photographs of everyone mentioned.

Hearing about war from the voice of a thirteen year old was really hard-hitting. To see someone so young understand the injustice of it all, and to see her constantly trying to keep her spirits high through it all – well, it can be difficult to read. And yet, I felt like I owed it to her to read her story.

“I’ve found that there is always some beauty left — in nature, sunshine, freedom, in yourself; these can all help you.”

She wanted to be a writer. She wanted her stories, her “fairy tales” shared. She wanted to leave her mark on the world. And even though it’s not how she hoped…she did ultimately achieve all those things. And for me, I hate hate hate the fact that she didn’t get to see how much she’d achieve.

When this diary ends, and you’re left with the small update on what happened to everyone…that’s probably the hardest part to read. To go through this journey with them all, and to see how it all turned out – whether you liked them or not, it’s hard to miss that sinking feeling in your stomach. To get so close and yet so far. To know what Anne had hoped for, and to see how that turned out. It was just a very painful reminder that all those things I learnt in my history lessons happened to real people. Thousands upon thousands of people suffered during the war, and we can only begin to imagine the scale of it.

Books like this should be read by everyone.

I know it might be uncomfortable to read. But it happened. To go through that tension, hope, fear, constant sense of waiting, even just through the words on a page while you sit safely tucked away at home – it made this book a really powerful story. And this gave me so much more understanding than I had previously…I don’t think I’ll ever forget this story.

I never thought I’d feel this heavy-hearted for a girl who died so long ago.
on 10 May 2003
I first read this book when I was 12 years old, I fell in love with it a few pages in. This book by Anne Frank inspired me to write a dairy of my own, and now years later I have kept it up, I wouldn't be without it. The book has meant so much to me that I have travelled to Amsterdam 3 times to visit her hiding place. I have recently purchased it as an 18th birthday gift for a close friend. I would recomend this book to anyone with an interest in history and the holocaust.
on 18 August 2009
The first time I read 'The Diary of a Young Girl' by Anne Frank, I was 15 years old, as much as I enjoyed it, it did not seem real to me that Anne had died before her 16th birthday, I had such high hopes of a happy ending.

The version I read this time around was the new version, Anne in fact wrote two diaries, the original diary and the diary which she began after hearing a newcast of Gerrit Bolkestein ~ a member of the Dutch government in exile, who said that when the war ended, he would create a public record of the Dutch people's oppression under German occupation. The version has both diaries and it is explained clearly where the additions are made.

I enjoyed the new version, it was more indepth, the original diary was interesting but a lot of it had been omitted by Anne Frank father, Otto because he felt at the time that some of the insights which Anne shares in the diary about her fellow annexe members were disrespectful to the dead, in Anne's second diary she changed some names (the van Pels became van Dams, etc). In the new version everything is included with Otto Frank's permission before his death in 1980.

If Anne Frank had lived, I truly believe she would have made a mark on history as huge as the mark she has made following her untimely death, reading Anne's diary gives you a insight into a world where fear reigns supreme while at the same time watching a girl turn into a insightful and intelligent woman, living in the most unbelieveable of circumstances. Anne does not pull any punches when it comes to her thoughts regarding the other members of the annexe but all of these feelings are born from frustration which Anne mentions a few times, she does not mean what she says but she stands by what she says (if that makes sense). The most painful part of the diary I found was the relationship between Anne and her mother, Edith, it broke down completely in the annexe, two strong personalities clashing but Anne did love her mother, it was just a difficult situation all round.

A interesting and lovely read, you feel you are part of Anne's world and it is credit to her legacy that people can read her diary, which was what she wanted.
on 30 December 2014
I really enjoyed reading this book. Anne Frank was honest, opens and yet made me laugh... Not always, it was a little sad. At the start, Frank lists her admirers and friends, and so people think this is sheer vanity. I didn't mind it, but I skim read it. Then there as the start, and Anne was carefree and happy. I really enjoyed the anecdote especially between the van Daan family and Anne, like Mrs van Daan concluding Anne was a spoilt brat. Things begin to get darker and more emotional as you move on, watching Anne spill her feelings onto the page. Her relationship between her and her mother was tenuous. She loved her father dearly, however.
Then love is introduced. Anne and Peter begin to bond, and they... kiss. There is nothing disgusting or inappropriate in this dia- wait! Anne describes her female parts. I felt a little awkward, but... its a fact of life.
It was an engaging book, but some parts bored or creeped me, so I removed a star. Recommended for ages eleven-year-old to 14.
on 19 December 2003
I was bought the Diary of Anne Frank for a fourteenth birthday present, and was pleasantly surprised with how this book managed to engrosse me with its content to such an extent that I actually could not put it down. It is based around the diary entries of Anne Frank from the age of thirteen, whom is in hiding in an Amsterdam warehouse with her family during the Second World War. A deeply moving true-life story, it reveals this young girl's innermost thoughts and feelings about her fears of being discovered in her hiding place, the people she is living with, and the experiences of growing up. Unlike many other books written for teenagers and young adults, this diary has not been edited in a way that hesitates to reflect upon the true depth of a child's mind, revealing details about the real Anne Frank such as her sexuality and her gradual recognition that the people she loves are actually not who she thought them to be, which as time goes by, leads her to become a more self-sufficient young woman. Rather frightning at times, the diary retells Anne's experiences of intruders in the warehouse that she fears are Nazi soldiers, wanting to capture her and her family. However, she does manage to find comfort in her developing relationship with her friend Peter, who also lives in the warehouse and is falling in love with Anne as she is with him. The only way in which I can really fault this book is the way in which, at times, it goes into detail about quite insignificant events, for instance, a day in the warehouse may be commented upon if "nothing interesting has been happening lately", which made parts of the book like this seem a little tedious, which perhaps can be expected of a real diary, although the story was sure to be made that much more exciting very soon after. With such, a wide variety of events occuring in her life, it is hard for anybody to not enjoy at least some aspects of this book, particuarly because of the way in which she reveals everything about herself to her diary, providing vivid occurrences that so many people can relate to, though particuarly people of a similar age to Anne. I highly reccommend this book to anybody between the ages of 12 and 16 that are looking for a more meaningful read than many books that are published now, that they can relate to and feel inspired by such a strong character that is Anne Frank.
Kelsey, 14
on 25 November 2014
I could not put this book down. I have been to numerous Holocaust memorials and museum around the world, and met descendants of victims of the Holocaust. All have affected me to a degree, but none like the innocent voice of this young girl.

There are three reasons for the strong impact:

She writes about what is happening to Jews during the Holocaust in such a matter of fact manner, she did not labour over the injustice of the situation or dwell extensively on it. The innocence of this young girl is unintentionally juxtaposed with the brutality of the Nazi regime. This understated way of telling the story left a huge impact on me.
She spends a huge amount of time talking about her boy troubles and her treatment by the adults in the hideout. The arguments they have are so trivial compared to the fate that awaits them and the rest of the Holocaust victims that you get the sense that they do not understand the extent of the trouble they are in. [example of argument]. Telling the story this way worked extremely well in building up tension for the reader, as the days and months rolled on and the end drew closer.
She is full of hope. Just three months before the household was caught and taken captive, she speaks about her hope that she will be able to go back to school within that time. The fact that I knew how the book ended made every word she wrote gut wrenching to read.
This is such a wonderful book about the strength of the human spirit. Not only from Anne but from all the members of the household. There were 7 members in hiding, and while Anne alluded to running out of food and the constant fighting from the tension that builds up when people live in close quarters 24/7, they found room in their heart to compassionately take in another friend, to share their space and food and increase the chances of them getting caught. While in hiding they also managed to buy each other gifts for their birthdays. Lots of generous gifts at that. It is easy to dismiss such behaviour as non-essential and a waste of money in times when necessities such as food are hard to come by, but it must have been essential to the members of that household to have something to look forward to. Otherwise they might have gone insane.

This is an important book and a great read for lovers of memoirs and history.

www.11hackney.com
on 16 June 2016
A great experience reading this aloud with my pre-teen and teen. I would caution parents, there are a few entries where Anne talks about her sexual curiosity so if this is not something you have discussed with your child, you may want to skip those entries. Anne also expresses a lot of dislike for her mother even saying sometimes that she doesn't love her. She is quite "cheeky" at times when talking of others. Anne's emotions go up and down but this would be expected in her situation.
The book gives incredible insight into the raw, real experiences of people desperately hiding for their lives during WWII. It is moving, thought-provoking and gives us all a sense of what it would have truly been like. My heart hurts for Anne, her family and the others and I always want the ending to turn out differently for them.