on 21 December 2009
This is not a book you read but a course you do. I have started the course about 9 months ago, and read the text within about 4 month. The text has 667 pages in the paper back version. This amount of text would normally not take me more than 3 weeks to read. But ACIM (A Course in Miracles) is not just a simple book. It talks to you on various levels.
First I percieved that it took every single belief I had about God and the world away. It felt as if my entire world was turned up side down. As my understanding of ACIM grew everything was returned but in purified form.
The main themes are that everything we percieve is illusion, which we lock ourselves into by our fear. The goal is to undo fear and unleash love. This is achieved by true fogiveness.
The lessons are spread over 365 days, which start easy and lead you step by step away from a fearful worldview.

This book is not for everyone. But the ones who chose to "do" the course experience profound changes in their "worldview".

I always recommend to read the "Disappearance of the Universe" by Gary Renard first. That having said, some find "The disappearance of the Universe" so controversial, that they do not give ACIM a chance. Others recommend literature by Eckhardt Tolle or Marianne Williamson as an introduction.

Anyhow, give it a try. It is definetely worth it. J.
on 14 May 1999
A truly inspirational text. Although Christian in language, the timeless truths here can apply to anyone of any denomination. The Course has clarified many areas of my thinking, especially the conflicts that arise from living an Ego-centred life. Many, many times I felt my self saying "Of course, of course..." as the many difficulties we all face in our lives were described in clear detail, and then simply explained as arising from the basic incorrect thinking and functioning of our Egos. As a very Ego-driven person myself, with high goals and striving for achievement as my basic philosophy, some of the Course was hard to swallow at first. However, the logic of the arguments could not be faulted and I began to see all the conflicts and difficulties as arising from the "me-versus-you" approach to living. Another basic theme of the course is that all depression, feelings of inadequacy etc. come from our feelings of being powerless and alone. The Course encourages us to see ourselves as created wholly perfect with limitless power and in Unity with all things, and by doing so any feelings of depression, lack or limitation simply melt away.
Truly Inspirational.
0Comment| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 7 January 2006
A Course in Miracles has changed my life forever. It is beautiful Sense Itself. It is true that it is involved and not everyone may be ready for it just now. We will be led to read whatever we need now.

This book teaches that our willingness to learn is all we need. It took me years to finish the text, but it soon began to fall into place. Persevere beyond the first few pages which lay out all the principles. The book is so involved because it addresses the many complexities of our self-defeating ego mind in order to enable us to see the Truth, which is SIMPLE.

Reading 'An Introduction to A Course in Miracles' will give you a good footing to begin on this mind-expanding, Heaven-revealing course.

"...the Holy Spirit shares the goal of all good teachers, whose ultimate aim is to make themselves unnecessary, by teaching their pupils all they know."

The Teacher Who speaks through the book is infinititely patient and is ready for our learning challenges even as we encounter them. Read it now if you can, or perhaps try again at a later date. It teaches that we learn of our abundance by giving, and of our perfection by forgiving because this reflects the way of Truth which we seek. Here are some quotes on our part as learners of the course:

"Your part is merely to apply what He has taught you to yourself, and He will do the rest. And thus the power of your learning will be proved to you, by all the many different witnesses it finds."

"The understanding that you need comes not of you, but from a larger Self..."

"Make fast your learning now, and understand you but waste time unless you go beyond what you have learned to what is yet to learn. For from this lowest point will learning lead to heights of happiness, in which you see the purpose of the lesson shining clear, and perfectly within your learning grasp."

"You are not called upon to do what one divided still against himself would find impossible...But be you thankful that only little faith is asked of you."

xx
on 15 October 2009
I bought this book, having found a reference to it in the book "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment, which I highly recommend.
First of all, I got slightly confused by the format of the book. The title says, that it is a combined volume. What that means is that it consists of three parts. Part 1 - the text, which explains you why you are not happy, and how to fix that; part 2 - workbook for students, contains 365 lessons, you have to work on each lesson in a course of one day; part 3 - Manual for teachers, contains answers to some questions you might have, once you completed the course and became the teacher yourself.
I got my paperback second hand and in decent condition 5 months ago. At the moment I am on lesson 57 (I thought I'd accomplish the course in a year and will be in clover by the Summer 2010 - dream on!). The covers of the book curled up and it is bristling with bookmarks.
It is HARD WORK! But what hard work wouldn't you do, if you wanted to recover from terminal illness? Yes, one has to be pretty desperate to embark on this journey, and I was. Desperate for the peace of mind, desperate for the understanding of the world around me, desperate for being whole instead of being torn into pieces. If you feel the same, buy the book.
What is hard about it? The density of the information. One page is enough to send one's brain to sleep after the effort made to comprehend it. Besides, our minds are so cluttered with mental blocks of all sorts, and those blocks want us to stay that way for ever. But keep on reading, most importantly - keep on doing the exercises!!! - and the changes will start happening in your perception of the world. It'll make you happier about yourself, and therefore about everything and everybody.
Another constant struggle is the Christian religious terminology. I am neutral to any religion, as long as it stays away from me, and this book is far too Christian in it's wording to my liking. However, at the core it is true, and I put up with the annoyances of the style for the ultimate good.
This course is deeper than many spiritual and self-help books I ploughed through, and made a huge impact on how I feel about myself. On the other hand, I came to it at this stage of my life with some views I formed with the help of other authors. It is all part of the procces of becoming who you are. I'd say, definitely buy it, and if you are not ready for it now, you'll come back to it later.

PS. A couple of months after writing the above review I found something better than this book. I watch Abraham and Boshar on youtube, and they talk about the same thing in a much, much, much more comprehensible way than the book, AND without all the christian add-ons.
on 26 October 2007
This course is a phenomenon which has touched the lives of millions of people around the world. It was written down by a woman named Helen Schucman who, in 1965, heard a voice say "This is a Course in
Miracles, please take notes". The manual states that this is a special form of the universal course. There are many thousands of other forms, all with the same outcome. It states the Holy Spirit speaks to people
in a language and form that they can understand. This is a step by step curriculum that leads from separation back to oneness with God. It is a course in mind healing, in learning to listen to our own Internal
Counsellor, the Holy Spirit. Here are a couple of its concepts:

In order to remember God in Whom IS our true identity, (in order to return to Him) we must engage in the practice of being loving to one another, no one excluded. For God's love has no exceptions. Only by loving totally can we know the total love that is God. The effect of loving our brothers is to bring our thinking back into accord with how God created us to think. It entails an undoing of the old insane thinking that led us away from God in the first place, which sets us back in the direction of Home.

It teaches that as we give, we will receive to the same measure. If we reject one person we will believe God has rejected us. If we give unconditional love we will know we are loved unconditionally. What we chose to have in our mind is what we experience. Release another from his prison and we open our own prison door.

It tells us that to remember love and God and out true identity we need 'Forgiveness', a process of our mind whereby we relinquish grievances and competetiveness and are healed of guilt & fear that resulted from such unnatural thinking. If God is love, eternal & infinite and He created us in His likeness, then forgiveness is justified. It has a true foundation. There is that of God in everyone.And our task, if we would be saved, is to look beyond darkness, error and barriers, and look only upon the light of God in each person. This is to remove the blocks to the awareness of love's presence. This is to correct our perceptions and to restore our sight. It is a coming to the realization that we
have been mistaken about God's creation. It is to forgive our mistake and to lift the blind we'd closed to stop God's light shining on and through us.

We need to be merciful and patient with ourselves in the process of undoing our false foundations. We invested a lot of effort in our unnatural habits and now need to exert effort in relearning our natural habits. There are 365 lessons to facilitate the unearthing every fear to allow the light to shine them away. A miracle, as defined here, is different to what most people think of a miracle. A miracle is natural. It is an experience we have when we are in our right mind as God created us. This is a course in mind healing. A course in remembering God.

Atonement is the goal. At-One-Ment of Creator and Creation.
0Comment| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 29 May 1999
This is the most challenging and amazing book I have ever read,it was like finding my way home. A Course In Miracles has become a life long study. Experience has shown that it never arrives in your life by accident and when you are ready for it, it appears!
0Comment| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 7 January 2006
Read this book, follow through with its requests, and life itself will never be the same, if you've done it right, it cannot be! You will never need to read another book. This isn't based on hopes or wishes, miracles really do happen. If you've been led to this book persevere, nothing will ever be more important to you.
0Comment| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 27 January 2006
A Course in Miracles is a book that will change your life, it is book like no other book. That said you need to be at a place in your life when you are ready for it. But if you dedicate yourself and commit to reading it daily, you will be rewarded.
I believe the book is holographic in the way it is written and if you can just trust in the process, you will be blessed with peace in your life.
0Comment| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 14 February 2015
I have spent 50 years of my life being taught about a Christian god, and studying other religions, meditating, believing that there is a benevolent being at the heart of existence. I've been through phases of belief and of looking into other religions for validation of what I believe, or to learn what they have to offer. I have been sorely disappointed by how they fail to give any reasonable means of addressing the questions that we all find most troubling and most significant. This book promises to take you to that kind of place, where you will feel, experience and know what is truth, and where you will experience miracles.

Now, I know that miracles are in fact things we see every day which we do not understand--the nuanced glances between people who care for each other, the sensations we encounter when smelling a rose or listening to a great work of music, for example. The roar of the ocean that vibrates our bones, the lulling song of cicadas on a summer night. Science can go a long way to helping us understand those. Based upon that, I think that by experiencing something, AND at the same time having sensible and reasonable explanations of what it is and what causes it to happen, we can take a 'Course in Miracles'.

No stranger to meditation and deep contemplation or philosophy or indeed a childhood and adulthood surrounded by people of faith, I tried to reconnect my adult, educated reason and my heart's longing for meaning. This book was one way I hoped to do that. By about half-way through, I felt thoroughly brainwashed, and an unwelcome sense that it was all coming to one big mess I would have to then untangle for many more months or years in order to get healthy again. Not only that, but the instructions, which are given to the 'student' in a manner which implies right and wrong or at least obligation to the truth, god, and yourself became more and more disassociative on the one hand, and morally and ethically dissonant to me as a deeply responsible and respectful, ethical person in this world. Since attempting to use the book on two occasions separated by about 8 years or so, I threw it away after the last near completion of the 'Course' (and I also had read from websites that amplified and supported the book.) I did not give it away, because so strong was my conviction that its philosophy and methodology would lead someone deeper into the morass of religious and so-called spiritual confusion, that I did not want it to come to any other person who would be so affected if they used it.

I do not recommend this book or the pseudo-psychology, pseudo-religious premises upon which it is based. If you like to take someone's word for it that god or angels, or other celestial beings have spoken to them and told them how to instruct you to think and to believe, then by all means you will be absolutely susceptible to this and every other new agey, wealthy and seeking more fame and wealth modern gurus who promote it. I'm done with the lot and have decided to be a reasoned, rational, and moderate individual with ethics and morality as my cornerstone--not some convoluted mind game of a religious nature.

If you do some research into the communities and celebrities that promote this book and others like it, you will find some very wealthy individuals who charge hundreds of dollars for consultations and speaking engagements which are promoted to the general public and at ticket prices that are quite out of range of the frugal, average person. They seem to have an endless stream of so-called 'spiritual' wisdom and 'guidance' so that nobody ever would reach the end of courses, conventions, workshops, and reading materials which must be purchased from them. If they are so keen on transforming the world and bringing about enlightenment and happiness and peace, then why don't they do so with little or no profit for themselves and their various commercial companies and organizations.

Read the back covers and forewards of any 30 of the books in the Mind-Body-Spirit section of a bookshore and you will no doubt find that at least half of those are being promoted and mutually supported by others who write the same stuff. You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. I am willing to bet that they are all millionaires, because they have been around a long time and they never stop pushing this stuff on people who are in need of emotional and spiritual solutions for the NORMAL and difficult things that are part of the human condition.

They will promise you healing, cleansing, renewal, enlightenment, and all the rest. Do you know anyone who you can be certain is an example of that kind of result? i doubt it. I have not met a single one. So I now have decided to forego the lot and be the happy person I know I can be while still fully understanding that we all have to deal with and witness sickness, death, violence, greed and corruption.
11 Comment| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 28 February 2016
I really tried to understand this book but the more I read, the more confused I became. I didn't know where to start and I couldn't work out which sections of text corresponded to the workbook lessons. It's far too wordy, difficult to understand and contradictory just gave me a headache and left me disappointed.