Customer reviews

on 27 September 2002
I first read this book when i was fourteen. I couldn't put it down, i read it in one go, hiding under the duvet long after my parents had gone to bed so I could find out what happened to Alice. A new realisation about the world came through this book. 'The Final Journey' is intense and moving, the ending confirms Gudrun Pausewang's abilities as a writer. I find this book just as poignant today, don't be put off because it's a translation, it's a good one. If everyone in the world read this book maybe it would change how we treat each other, just a little.
on 30 March 2001
I'm am now 13 years old and read this book when i was about 12. I love learning about the Holocaust and i found this book to be very life like. I could accually put myself in each characters shoes. I cryed through alot of it but that is one of the things that made it great. If you cry through a book that means the author did a good job because you can accually feel what the characters are going through. I would recomend this book because it is frighteningly relistic.
on 16 March 1999
Pausewang creates a fiction that allows the reader to experience the horror of the Third Reich. A graphic and accurate account of a days travel "east" to an unknown fate-the destitution of millions!! With each chapter I was compelled to feel the fear of an entire generation of Jews herded within a cattle train and sent away. I recommend this book only to those above 14 years, for all others, ignorance of this story will keep childhood virtuous by not having known war's genocidal abilities. Complete with an Afterword, Pausewang delivers to the world a vivid historical account as ugly as war itself. I admire literature written as forceful as this.
on 30 September 1998
I got this book because my children's librarian told me that I have got to read it. I am into the Holocaust and this sort of thing interest me. What I didn't know was how gross this book would get. I started reading it thinking that it would be something I have read before. WRONG! The author makes you feel like you are in the train with all of those other people and the stench of the bathroom corner. I starting crying half way near the end of the book and I couldn't stop until the very end. I would recomand this book 14 and up. Not 14 and below, you will half some nightmares about it. Overall this is the best book I have every read.
on 24 February 2013
This is an astonishing story of innocence broken on one of the death trains during The Holocaust.It starts off innocently enough but gradually the young girl, Alice, discovers the horrors of life under the Nazi boot of oppression. It is very well written/translated and perfectly captures the trauma of the trains long journey. I highly recommend this book. It is at least as important as To Kill A Mockingbird and should be read as part of the school curriculum
on 22 January 2009
As a school librarian I have read many childrens' books, but if you want an account of the everyday horror of a few days in the life of a Jewish child in Hitler's Germany, then this is the one book to read.

It gives the reader such an insight into the details of living on those trains which took people to the camps.

Truly an amazing read, but make sure you have a box of tissues handy.
on 25 January 2004
The Final Journey is a story shown through the eyes of a 11 year old naive, Jew called Alice. She has been protected by her family from knowing the fate of the Jews in Germany. As her journey to Auschwitz begins, she starts to understand why she has been kept in hiding for so long as she travels on a journey of self-discovery.
on 14 December 2013
I don't like this story. No-one could, surely. However my young grand-daughter wanted to read about the holocaust (they had heard about it at school, of course. This book was recommended. I like the speed with which it was delivered and it is in good condition.
on 2 December 1998
I love this book!!! I am 12 years old!!! I love learning about the Holcost!!! I rate this book 5 stars!!!
on 27 April 1998
May people say this book is not for younger readers, which it isn't. It is sad, and It scared me. But theat doesn't mean it isn't good. I cried all through it. There is a lot of bathroom releted stuff, that I really didn't want to hear, but this is one of the best book written about the halcaust. I didn't care for number the stars and anne frank drained on, but this I couldn't put down. Schliender's List, the movie waws probably the best thing aboout them. I reccomand this for mature children, I am twelve, and I was crying but so scared. To be in a situation like that! Imagine it. No toilets, food, water, anything. This is a very moving book, and I suggest it too anyone.