on 27 September 2016
A very strange book - I was expecting a serious tome and was highly surprised to find a comical novel. I bought it to see what all the fuss was about and NO WAY could I find a single sentence in the book that could possibly be construed as insulting to anything or anyone. I'm sure there are millions who have decried the book without having opened it!
on 19 October 2017
A very strange book- hard to imagine why it caused such a problem for the author!
on 31 January 2016
I read this book with a view to better understanding the divisions between the faiths. As is often the case, I found myself entering a different world than I had imagined. At first I found this book hard to read. It is not the kind of thing I would normally go for. At the beginning two men fall from the sky as a result of a bomb on a plane and survive and one of them becomes the devil incarnate and grows horns. So I found myself having to relax my usual literary expectations and prejudices and just go with the flow if you like. I gave up trying to relate one chapter or even page, to another and just tried to enjoy it this way, which did work in a way I`m pleased to say. Rushdie treats language as a malleable medium and again I had to make adjustments. There is plenty of amusing and interesting material here even if the plot may seem fantastical! There are some interesting views of the British and their culture as seen from an Asian perspective.
But on the whole I found this book hard to follow. I was left with the feeling that a second read would probably help but there is just too much other material waiting to be read. I also had the feeling that I am probably not part of the target audience if the author has one, and the work appeared somehow inaccessible, but then I would not be arrogant enough not to say that perhaps this book is simply beyond me.
on 24 April 2016
Nearly became the second book ever that i just couldn't finish because of boredom and just not being able to follow what on earth he was rambling on about throughout. The style is just weird, there's no real story and I really don't understand what all the fatwa fuss was about in the eighties. I'm sure he must have been on something writing this drivel. Good luck with it.
on 19 April 2014
A weird book with various stories that appear to interlink. I read this more out of curiosity than anything. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it as a read unless you are just curious like me.
on 3 August 2017
Forget the religious mumbo jumbo. This is a really good story!
It has complex characters, emotional story telling and is a very good book. Wish I had read it 20 years ago.
on 3 April 2017
Bought this book for my husband. He's really pleased with the book
on 19 September 2017
Came punctually. Quality as promised. Super
on 20 August 2011
"The Satanic Verses" is a novel which has been overshadowed by its history. Published in late September of 1988, it was on February 14th in 1989 that a fatwa was issued by the Ayatollah Khomeini against the author Salman Rushdie (Happy Valentine's Day, Salman). The claim was that the book was very insulting to Muslims, and the controversy itself caused many who had never read the book to issue strong opinions about it. It also had the effect of getting many to buy it that otherwise would not have, and stop people from buying and reading it who otherwise might have. I'm sad to admit that I fall into the latter category, having allowed the controversy to steer me away not only from "The Satanic Verses", but from all of Salman Rushdie's works. The loss has been mine.

A story dealing with immigration into a different culture, and the loss of faith, the sections which caused the controversy are the dream sequences of a man who believes he is an angel, and even in the sequence which most applies to the prophet then the names are altered, though clearly Mahound is intended to be a representation of the prophet Muhammad, it is a representation which takes place in the dream of a delusional character. So ultimately, the controversy is about a piece of fiction which includes dreams from an unbalanced mind, and that is pretty much all that needs to be said regarding the supposed blasphemy, and of course free speech still allows one to write what one will, so even if it were blasphemy the violent response to it has been nothing short of obscene.

I found "The Satanic Verses" a difficult read as I struggled with some of his terms, and the narrative structure. It is a very complex storyline, and though I suspect I only picked up on a small part of the totality of what Rushdie included, it was well worth the effort, and this is a book which I will be re-reading in a few years to see what I missed the first time through. I also will be correcting my mistake of not reading any of Rushdie's other works as I see no reason to deprive myself of such great works simply because others found offense.

The book is comic, with biting commentary not only on religion, but on politics and the secular and capitalistic west. The story is about two Indian actors that are miraculously saved after their plane is blown up by terrorists. One (Gibreel) comes to believe he is an angel), and the other (Saladin) transforms into a devil. The title itself does refer to a controversy early story from the early days of Islam. The story is about the devil tricking Muhammad into indicating that the worship of three pagan goddesses was allowed, but later learning from Gabriel that the devil had tricked him with a false recitation, i.e. a Satanic Verse.
on 17 September 2017