on 30 September 2016
This is a must have book for any serious fan of the Olympic Games. I can only hope, after not releasing an edition in 2016 for various reasons, that Mr. Wallechinsky can make an effort to release another edition in 2020. I know he is getting on a bit now, plus he largely does this work out of enthusiasm for the subject matter and not money, but it would be nice.

I think that it should be released in two volumes, if he does do it, as the last edition was a bit on the big side. I also think, if he does do it and he sees it as his last throw of the dice, that he should look at appointing a successor responsible for releasing future editions. I see that these books are co-written by Jaime Loucky, who I presume is the junior partner here. He could surely at least play some sort of role, if he is still up for the work. It would be such a shame if these books were no more...
on 18 January 2013
As a keen athletics fan I have purchased the last three editions of this book.
I remember the 1948 olympics and two runners in those games made me take an active part in athletics when I reached my teens
The first was McDonald Bailey - a 100 m runner who won a bronze in the 52 Olympica but was 6th in 48
The other was Arthur Wint -a 400m runner who won a gold in 48 but was 5th in 52.
The 52 Olympics was memorable for me because Emil Zatopek did something no athlete in the world has done since
Winning gold in the 5000m, the 10,000m and the marathon,
No GB athlete has won a GOLD for fencing with one exception That was the Melbourne 56 games when Gillian Sheen won gold in Womens foil.
This book brings these memories back to life for me and will do so for any individual who has a passion for athletics.At the same time it is an historical document of the development of the Olympics games and a history of sports or events which are no longer included in the modern games,
As I stated at the outset I have purchased the last 3 editions of this book having come across it by accident when perusing
Amazons book list several years ago and I have fallen into the habit of searching for it every thirdyear following on from an Olympics.
The authors DAVID WALLECHINSKY and JAIME LOUCKY have spent an inordinate amounted of time to check and recheck the individual results and to ascertain as and when disqualifications have taken place in the light of evidence being provided after the games have finished
It might be considered a massive tome but one worth every penny for the detailed information laid down in it . Go and have a look at a copy I feel sure once seen immediately purchased
on 25 May 2012
In my view this is without doubt this is the greatest book on the Olympic Games ever written, packed with antidotes about the competitors and ever result for all the events of every summer Olympics since 1896. It's a book that you can just browse at random, just open at any page and there will be interesting facts about a sport you may, or may not, have ever taken an interest in. I got my first copy in 2000 in time for the Sydney Olympics and having updated it by hand over the last three games decided it was time for the latest version ready for London 2012 and was not disappointed. This book will be essential reading for us `armchair' experts over the coming months. Brilliant!
on 17 August 2012
The Olympics have been and gone. That's no reason to discard this book. Such a great book to have close by, comparing times from previous games with those attained in 2012. In addition there are loads of statistics and oddities covering the 116 years history of the modern Olympic games.Find out who the first known winners of the ancient Olympic games were over 2000 years ago. No sporting Olympic enthusiast should be without this. New names may have been added to the medals list but the history contained within will keep you going until Rio 2016 and beyond.
on 4 August 2012
I first encountered this book for the Athens 2004 version, a book I had from my local library. What a book! It contains the final standings for each Olympic event up to and including Beijing 2008, which probably sounds incredibly dry and boring - it really isn't, as alongside the stats are fantastic anecdotes, background stories and 'what happened next' tales about the participants in the event. It is not just a reference book for finding out who won what, it tells you how they won it, why others didn't, what challenges they'd overcome and what challenges came along in the future. Where else would I have learnt that Jacques Boxberger, the French athlete who finished 6th in the 1500 metres final, was killed by an elephant in 2001 whilst on holiday in Kenya?

This mammoth book (1325 pages cover the sports reports) really does capture the glory, the tragedy, the justices and injustices of the Olympic Games, the very definition of an encyclopedia to the Games. I can't think of a more engrossing book in my personal library. The authors have also released a similar compendium for the Winter Olympics The Complete Book of the Winter Olympics: Vancouver 2010 Edition, which I will definitely add to my collection in time for Sochi 2014.
on 1 December 2012
The quality of the material is as good as previous editions I have.
The title '2012 Edition' is, however, is seriously misleading. It should have been made clear that coverage stops at the 2008 Games.
The front cover does say in smallish print, ' ... from 116 years of Olympic History....since 1896', but that fact cannot be known from e.g. an internet list of books.
(Admittedly, the chance of every 2012 event having been described and printed by the time I purchased the book in early October is highly remote - unless one believes in fairies!)
on 6 December 2011
There isn't much to say about this - except for that at the time of writing, there may be a 2012 edition, which will update from the last 2004 Olympics which is covered in this particular edition.

A complete reference book, this gives every result of every event - current and discontinued - in Olympic history. Sensibly laid out, contained within are interesting descriptions and background reading on each event, with more time dedicated to notable results (for example, long passages on Ben Johnson's drug-fuelled 1988 100m sprint, and the 1996 'Magnificent Seven' female gymnastic team). These passages themselves are well-sourced and rich in insight.

Indispensable for Olympic fans and stats-buffs alike.
VINE VOICEon 13 June 2012
All the facts you could reasonably expect are there, but so are many stories about the champions and some of the also-rans. I get a new copy every 2 or 3 Olympics and would put this right at the top of a list of books that anyone interested in sport should have.
on 28 August 2012
An excellent book that has just about everything you need to know about the Summer Olympics. Not only does it contain the essential facts but also the interesting stories behind them.

My only quibble would be about when it is published. It is now out of date and will be so until the next edition in 2016. It would make far more sense to publish it after each Olympics, rather than just before. Surely we want to read about London 2012, not Beijing 2008?
on 9 December 2013
This was an awesome present for a young man who wants to be an international sports journalist. He's on his way!