'The Truth About Forever' is a brilliant teen fiction book, that had me hooked right from page one.

Macy is a seventeen year old girl who is still coming to terms with her Father's death the only way she knows how - by making herself perfect. She has a perfect boyfriend, perfect grade scores, and a perfect appearance. The only thing she is lacking is true friendship and feeling.

Macy unexpectedly meets a new group of people (including Wes, an artist), starts a new job, and soon realises that there can be more to life than perfection. She also realises that grief is dealt with in many ways, and that the only help you need is the truth.

Sarah Dessen's characters are always true to life and believable, and this just makes the story that much better.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who has read 'Just Listen' (also by Dessen), or who is a teen fiction reader in general. You won't be disappointed.
on 19 February 2007
The Truth About Forever, by Sarah Dessen, is a masterpiece and worth every second of your life. The only times I would advice one to put this book down is if a) the house is burning down b) you've set something on fire, or c) you're invaded by a herd of Dinosaurs.

Macy Queen, the main character, is spending her summer looking after her genius-boy boyfriend, Jason's job while he's off at Brain Camp. She's bored (not to mention very unhappy) out of her mind sitting at the Help Desk, watching her mother prepare for various cocktail parties to boost sells on her new town house ideas, and silently grieving over her dad's recent death.

But things start changing when Macy joins the Wish Catering Crew, where she meets Delia, Kristy, Bert, Monica, and finally, Wes. Each and every one of her new friends help to show Macy--even if they don't know it--that she IS allowed to give in to her emotions, and that there are no rules to forever, as long as you make it the way you want it to be.
on 12 March 2015
I read this book at the age of 15. I took it on holiday with me and literally read it about 6 or 7 times in the space of two weeks. I have never been able to finish a book, then turn it back to the first page and start reading it all over again, until I found this book. I have been a fan of Sarah Dessen from about the age of 14. I have read all of her books and even now at 22 I am still excitedly anticipating the release of her latest book. Back to this one. This has always been my favourite purely for the reason that it's exceptional.
Sarah has the ability to make you feel what the character feels which I think is absolutely incredible and most authors don't accomplish it. The relationships between the characters was amazing and I actually felt like I was there, I was part of this weird little family that Macy had found. The storyline was brilliant. If I was to summarise it I would say, it's a coming of age story of a teenage girl feeling the pressure of school, family, work and annoyingly "perfect" boyfriend. She finds an escape from everything with an interesting group of people who would change her life completely. I can't really say anything else about it without giving too much away. All I can say is I don't think this book will ever get old. It has humour, it has sadness, and it has acceptance. It purely brilliant and I don't think I will ever tire of reading it. If you purchase a book today, make sure it's this one. You will not regret it.
on 17 July 2004
I love this book and Sarah Dessen, her books are fantastic and "The Truth About Forever" is no different. The issues tackled are real and Dessen writes with fresh honesty, nothing is held back from her writing which is why I love the books. "The Truth About Forever" is great because it tackles issue that teenagers go through, and they come from a teenage point of view. When you read this book ,or any of Dessen's books, you really feel like you are the central character, and you feel the emotions they do. As you journey through Macy, the main character's, life you get caught in her world, this book is an emotion rollercoaster. You journey though as Macy copes with her father's death, being apart from her boyfriend then there break up, as she makes new friends and above all, realises who she really is and finally realises she doesn't have to be perfect.
This book is a gem and a perfect read for anyone who loves Sarah Dessen's previous books
on 25 September 2011
I loved this book.
It had a wonderful, dreamy feel to it.
The characters are all well written and the storyline is sublime. I am actually not very fond of Sarah Dessens style of writing, but this book just couldn't be any better.
It has so many positive messages woven in the pages.
Just beautiful, a must read.
on 3 July 2013
This is one of the first books I read this summer and I really, really loved it! It follows Macy, a girl who has just lost her father. As she is trying to cope with her father's death, being away from her boyfriend who is at braincamp AND working at a place she does not like or fit in, she decides to start work ing for a catering company where she meets the mysterious, but charming, Wes! I really recommend this book, especially for the summer. I am also starting school soon, so it learned me a lot about life and that you should just live for the moment! Every girl should read this book :-)
on 17 April 2015
I picked this up by mistake and ended up reading it. Skipped through some parts which might have been better edited but she has the odd beautiful observation and teens will identify. Nice to have only a chaste kiss and no swearing either!
on 10 January 2012
This book is absolutely amazing. It really transports you, it includes you. You feel like you are Macy, you do everything she does, you feel everything she does. I felt a little funny after reading it, as if the book was reality, and I sort of didn't know who I was or what I was doing any more. Every teenage girl should read Sarah Dessen.
on 6 February 2012
I've never read a Sarah Dessen before, but heard such good things about her, deciding it was time to take the plunge, I started to read it last weekend but then had a review book come in so had to put it down, but over the past week I found my mind kept wandering back to this one. I picked it up this evening with the intent of reading for about an hour, in the end I read for 2 and a quarter hours and finished the whole book. I just didn't want to put it down.
Macy is keeping secrets, from everyone around her, they aren't earth shattering secrets, but important to her. Her dad died 18 months ago and so far Macy has held all her feelings inside her, if anyone asks how she is she responds with an automatic answer of 'I'm fine, just fine." this keeps the questions away and keeps her from looking to closely. Her boyfriend is all about being practical, emotions are pretty much an alien concept to him, if it doesn't achieve something or help him reach his goals then it isn't relevant, at first this suits Macy fine, it saves her having to talk about her past, but now she is starting to think that there should be something more. But once something has been kept inside for so long, it's hard to get out.
I immediately liked Macy as a character, she looks strong on the outside, coping well with everything, but inside she is falling apart, I like characters with a bit of depth and she certainly is. As Macy's story unfolds, I felt like a friend, someone she was telling everything to, I felt like I was there, cheering her on, letting her know everything would be ok. The emotion in this book is quite powerful, I really felt connected to her and could feel her pain.
Kristy is a great character, full of life, not afraid to live a little but very calming at the same time. She has a great sense of loyalty and will stick up for her friends. She is like a breath of fresh air for Macy, although she has her own problems, she has learnt to face up to them and wants to help Macy do the same thing.
Wes is the heart-throb in the book, the mysterious friend, already taken so out of bounds, besides Macy has a boyfriend or had, it's complicated as they say. :D I loved watching the two develop and get to know each other. There scenes were so honest and open but also open. They seemed to just fit together, perfect for each other. Very often this sort of thing will annoy me, the couple trying to be together when you know they can't be, but here, I didn't mind it, in fact I was cheering for them and it was so well done I really enjoyed watching it grow.
They get to know each other and combat their pasts by playing "Truths" with each other. I think all relationships would be better if they could start and continue on with this principle. Maybe I should try it. :P
This story doesn't have action or adventure, or great battles or magical creatures, but it doesn't need any of that stuff. It's packed with pure discovery and emotion and full of heart. I absolutely loved this book, something about it just called out to me and touched me. I will definitely be reading other books by Sarah Dessen.
on 30 May 2015
2.5 stars

Since the death of her father, Macy Queen’s life has revolved around routines, silence and ‘I’m fine’ smiles. She and her mother occupy the same home but never communicate and when her cold boyfriend goes away to Brain Camp, all she has is a long summer of working at the information desk at the local library to look forward to, until she becomes involved with the staff of the local catering company.

I know this is going to be a minority voice, but I couldn’t really see the huge appeal of this book. It was okay, but I think that by next week I’ll have forgotten all about it. It’s a book mainly about bereavement and grief and the different ways in which people deal with it and how it affects their relationships with the people around them, but it’s also chick-lit, so nothing is ever delved into with any great depth.

The plot is kind of slow and not a lot really happens, but I quite liked the author’s writing style so I didn’t mind too much. She’s quite descriptive without being flowery and I got a real sense of some of the scenes she set.

I really liked some of the supporting characters. Macy’s sister Caroline was interesting - she had a chequered past which contrasted nicely with her super-respectable life and she was the only person who told things like they were. Kristy was really cool too - she was sassy and funky and seemed to know who she was. Bert was funny and Wes was okay as a love interest.

I had literally no idea what Monica was even doing in the book - she does nothing (both in terms of physical action and of moving the plot forward) and her vocal repertoire is limited to four words - "Donneven," "Bettaquit," "Nuh-uh," and "Mmm-hmm." The characters all make jokes about this, which was amusing, but I didn’t really understand why she was included as a character. Maybe to reflect how energetic and lively Kristy was by comparison? Don’t know.

Unfortunately, I wasn’t keen on Macy. I know that she was still grieving for her father, but she was so closed-off that I never really got a sense of who she was. I couldn’t picture her in my head, either what she looked like, the things she enjoyed, how she would react in a particular situation. She did grow as the book progressed and learnt to embrace chaos a little, so that was something, but her constant strive for perfection irritated me.

And Jason, her kind-of boyfriend? Oh my word! He was basically Sheldon Cooper (obsessive, genius, emotionally cold, not fond of physical contact) but without the laughs. He was so ridiculously awful that it just made me wonder why she was with him in the first place. At best he was emotionally barren and at worst he was just mean to her. Who suggests a break in a relationship via email? To be fair to Macy, she didn’t seem bothered at all when this happened, which made me think again, ‘What were you even doing with him??’

I wouldn’t completely rule out reading one of Sarah Dessen’s books in the future, but if they’re all like this then they won’t be high on my TBR list.