Customer reviews

on 16 March 2017
good quality arrived promptly
Lovely finding out more about the Mitford people
on 19 October 2014
I love this series.
on 6 July 2014
A 'fun' read and practical book
on 27 August 2013
She is a good story teller. I have now bought all her books and am lending them round my friends, who are equally pleased
on 9 December 2014
Very good
on 25 August 2002
Like the other books in the series, In This Mountain is another engaging slice of Mitford Life. Unlike A New Song, most of the action takes place in and around Mitford. Almost all of the old favourites are there: Fr Tim, Cynthia, the Watsons, Dooley Barlowe, Lace Harper (Turner), Hoppy and Olivia Turner, Emma as well as the return of George Gaynor, the Man in the Attic from the first book At Home in Mitford. Karon deals with serious issues such as depression, child abuse, rehab of convicts, prejudice without sacraficing her wholesome style or compromising the story. As with her other books, she shows that a good story can be written without resorting to violence or sex. I like the fact that there is no edge to the books, and that her themes are about redemption, forgiveness and the joys of living.
In This Mountain can be read without having read the first books in the Mitford series, but for those who have read the books, a number of old story lines are referred back to. In fact, the ending of A New Song is explained, and there are updates on storylines from that book. ...
This is a book to read when you want to escape from the real world but also want to feel better and refreshed at the end. So take the time, get the book, sit down, fix yourself a cup of coffee or tea, and begin. I would not plan on doing anything else for while as in common with her other books, In This Mountain, is very un-put-downable. Given its upbeat message and reaffirmation of the goodness of life, it is a good read for anyone who is in hospital.
Take a few hours and visit Mitford.
on 22 June 2011
I never thought that I would rate a Jan Karon this poorly but this book just made me depressed and I wanted it to end as soon as possible.

Father Tim is nearing 70 and he has diabetes type 2. Still he does not do anything to preserve his life. He is packing his things to go to the mountains in Tennessee with his wife Cynthia where they will live in a hut with cement floor and try to be an inspiration to children and youth in that area. But they never get there. He doesn't exercise, he doesn't eat well, he decides to cut back on his insulin even though the doctor want to up the dose instead, he breaks his glucometer and doesn't buy a new one and when out driving in the woods, he stops to buy water at a petrol station and when told water is in the back, he settles on a coca cola instead. Result? He crashes in to a stop sign in Mitford, seriously injures a Baptist pastor and kills the pastors dog while he himself goes in to a coma that almost kills him. When he wakes up to life again, he can't shake depression. And reading about a depressed episcopalian priest in his late 60s was not really my thing. Usually these books are cozy and uplifting but this was not so in this book. Two ex-convicts that have made changes in their lives, are no longer that welcome in Mitford. Two old maids are depressed and go through religious doubts. Bill, the joke teller gets a heart attack. The list of misery is endless.

This book is too much about depression, too much about disease, too much about people wondering what God wants them to do. I am a deeply religious person but this was way too much Hallelujah for me! Yes, we are supposed to always have God in our thoughts but we don't have to stop at every shop, every corner to say a prayer with people! We don't have to mention Him in every sentence! In this book I really did NOT find myself "At home in Mitford"!
on 6 September 2014
This was a very interesting read. I am reading the book again, and taking longer as I read it rather quickly.
I have got used to this author.