on 3 December 2013
Ive been playing guitar for years, 32 years since I first picked up the instrument; being self taught you miss out all the important bits; like timings. It is only the last few years I have taken to playing seriously and I have even payed for lessons at £22.00 for 45min tuition, to get small results.

I have always struggled with timing and the chapter on timing 2nd paragraph stood out like a sore thumb; Quote " you can play for years without learning to count and be only slightly better than when you start". Unquote.

Barrett if I wore a hat I would take it off to you. The book is well written, well thought out and well explained. If you are serious about learning to play with conviction then I can't recommend this book enough.
on 29 August 2015
The method is good and thorough, and will help a player work out some interesting solos from the chord construction. Of course it still needs a lot of application to learn the progressions but there are helpful hints for proper practice and rest periods. The book leaves a lot of interpretation to the guitarist, it does not prescribe solos but gives the structure to create your own.
on 28 March 2018
This is a terrific book! Very well presented. I also found the author's philosophy accessible! Nicely written and guitaristic (which makes a lovely change). Thanks mate!
on 16 April 2015
Very serious book - would particularly suit a young person wanting to learn studiously - has tips on self discipline - organising practice routines - lots of scales, theory and exercises. The CD is well produced - I'm getting on a bit so I'm just cherry picking - the CD has a fair range of tracks that I can jam along to - some blues, rock and light jazz
on 29 October 2013
This is an amazing book, all guitarists learning on their own should have this. It is a MUST!!

1.Everything is explained in details, clearly and easy to understand
2.There are hundreds of exercises and backtracks on the CD provided
3.If you follow the practising guidelines given you will eventually learn to play amazing guitar

Well done Musicians Institute
on 17 September 2013
This book will not be finished to quickly. As I am just starting the book I have no idea how long it will take to work my way thought it but at a guess I would say about a year . It comes with a cd packed with backing tracks to practice with.
If you think you have the patients to practice over and over then this could be the sort of instruction book your looking for.
on 9 January 2017
I guess if you're a beginner at improvising and you would like to see some structure in your solos, then it would be a nice addition to your knowledge. I found it a little too easy, but that's just my opinion.
on 3 July 2013
Great book, recommend the retailer as arrived ahead of time and well packed.
The book has a useful CD to play along with, or just use as backing track.
Love the way Barrett teaches, not easy, but simple enough if you start at the 1st page and follow it as a beginner.
on 24 December 2012
Another excellent Hal Leonard publication that will help guitarists learn, have fun and achieve their sound! Not overly wordy and plenty of diagrams to help the learning process. As yet not listened to the accompanying CD, which may tend to stay unused!
on 27 February 2013
THIS BOOK TAKES AWAY THE MYSTERY OF WHICH CHORD TO PLAY AND WHICH SCALES FIT OVER THEM--- THIS IS AN ESSENTIAL LEARNING TOO; AND THE BASIS OF EVERY GOOD GUITARIST TRICK BOOK BE IT ROCK COUNTRY BLUES OR METAL JAZZ ETC........................