on 10 January 2017
What a fantastic book! If you are a guitarist looking to learn music theory to develop as a musician, if you want to understand how scales and chords work and are put together, then this book is for you.
Very simple and clear explanations covering most areas. This book - as the title suggests - is really for novices in music theory.
Of course, you can play guitar for years and years (as i did) without any music theory at all, simply a knowledge of chords in a key and a few scales. However, when you want to more fully appreciate the depth and complexity of the musical world, this marvellous book makes for a very good first stepping stone on your path!
on 30 June 2013
Lots of information targeted towards the guitar. I was a begginner when reading this and it was a little complex to start with especially without any prior musical knowledge.
on 9 May 2011
A very good and worth while addition to music theory. Musical theory is explained in simple terms and the book keeps to the important issues associated with playing guitar. This is a must for anyone wanting to learn more about musical theory based on a guitarist's perspective. Don't be surprised however if you need to build on some of the information provided by doing additional reading. Overall, a great book.
on 15 September 2015
This book arrived speedy to my door. I have been looking at theory with my guitar instructor and was looking for a book to supplement my lessons. This book is brilliant it is easy to follow and with lots of useful exercises. I took the book to my instructor who gave it a thumbs up and we now align my lessons with the book. I put the cd on and practice along to it. It is really helping me.
on 24 February 2017
Generally excellent and well laid out. It's more than just theory, with plenty of physical exercises to compliment the mental tasks. The only disappointment was the scales section. I'd have liked greater clarity and exercises in linking of the scale patterns.
on 26 December 2010
Clear, concise and exactly what I wanted. All styles of music covered. Later chapters a bit too technical for the beginner.
on 4 March 2016
Very helpful, makes sense of the guitar theory, would not want to be without it. Seller fine and arrived in allotted time.
on 25 February 2013
a book more focused on the musical theory end of things specifally for the guitar, explains tonality, chord shapes, keys and scales a must have for the guitarist wanting to further the musical theory
on 18 November 2011
I own numerous guitar and music books, and it has come very apparent to me that music cannot be explained in chapter and verse - you need short explanations, and importantly, EXAMPLES. Many other guitar theory books dedicate so much writing to scales, chords etc, then display the scale as is, but they don't give you practical exercises where you really figure out what it all means.

Thankfully this book is the exact opposite, and is chock full of exercises and short, concise explanations. I don't think there's a better book for us guitarists out there currently.

The only slight caveat, as the previous reviewer made mention to, is there are a few errors here and there. However, the book explains everything so well (with worked examples), that you'll probably spot the errors anyway. Maybe the author put the errors in on purpose to help us learn? :)
on 24 September 2014
great book to teach yourself all the important bits about music theory for the guitar.