on 12 February 2015
I am yet to come across another book which is as insightful in relation to melody writing as this one. Perricone is good at breaking things down to their most basic elements in order to explain different concepts. However at points I feel he can skip some significant info, perhaps assuming that the reader already has certain pockets of knowledge to tie it altogether. I therefore think that an absolute beginner could find this book overwhelming, as he you do require a certain level of theoretical experience and knowledge. As a music lecturer I consider myself to have a good grounding in theory, but some of the statements in relation to rhythm & stresses were, and continue to be, confusing for me to fully grasp with confidence. I ran some stuff by two of my colleagues with more experience than I, and sadly neither of them could help to clarify what the author meant either. However, aside from these niggles I have with some of the explanations, I overall have found this to be a really in depth and very informative resource and would highly recommend.
5 people found this helpful
on 13 July 2016
Having never formally studied music this book was enlightening on so many levels. It's a tome that could be worth millions in the right hands. I wish I'd read it years ago. Definitely the best book on music theory I've read. It's thorough and clear (although I did have to look up a few terms on Wikipedia), and explains stability and instability, tonally, rhythmically and harmonically. It also describes developing melodies and song structures.

I particularly liked the exercises, and having already taken the Berkley songwriting course on Coursera, I've learnt a huge amount already, and will learn more as I continue to work through the exercises.

Well worth a read for anyone interested in writing their own songs and music.
on 4 April 2017
Was it worth it the money? I wasn't convinced. It seemed that it was a little stretched out, but informative.
2 people found this helpful
on 17 November 2016
Useful teaching resource
on 29 July 2014
Good resource, needs a practical course as well though to make it fully work. Possible additional downloads or video resources could be helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 19 May 2018
I could tie together what I already know.
on 12 June 2014
A good book it will be very useful and it suits my need.I feel a song coming on.Just joking about.
on 13 December 2013
The author definitely has nothing to say about how to write a good melody. The book is mainly about harmony. Harmonising a melody is part of the songwriting process, but what I was hoping to get was an insight into how to write a good melody.
4 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 6 May 2013
Working my way thru' it as and when I find time. But had a quick run through it and, Yes! it's looking
to be worthy of at least another star?
One person found this helpful
on 20 April 2009
For anyone who is serious about songwriting this book is the one. It's quite an intense hands on text book that cuts right to the chase. Each chapter is about an aspect of melody writing with a brief explanation then exercises which increase in difficulty so you really feel like you've absorbed the lesson by the time you move on. Although it covers quite technical stuff it is written very simply and wouldn't phase anyone with a reasonable knowledge of music.

It is also a really comprehensive book. The second part covers harmony and integrating melody within a whole song.

I wholeheartedly recommend this book.
6 people found this helpful