Customer reviews

on 12 September 2013
I used this book for a university course on child psychology and found it to be well-written, easy to understand and very informative. New terms are explained in the margins and there is a glossary at the end of the book. I still refer to it now and again as it is a really good resource. The chapter on the Russian teacher and psychologist Vygotsky, for example, is a good introduction to his vitally important work that is often ignored. Another advantage of Schaffer's work is that he uses examples from different cultures to illustrate and to test various theories.

If you have no previous knowledge of psychology then a chapter on child psychology/development in an introductory psychology text might be more suitable. But if you are familiar with basic psychological terminology this book should be fine.
on 18 March 2018
Great for my studies...
on 14 April 2017
Insightful book which I've used whilst studying my degree in childhood
on 27 April 2016
very helpful, clear, accurate, written in a simplistic way but covers everything and was on my university reading list as a first year student
on 21 May 2016
Good book for the course I am studying, very informative.
on 23 July 2017
Good quality. Overall, I am happy although the product arrived two weeks after the expexted delivery date.
on 8 August 2013
I bought this as pre study for my upcoming course with the open uni, I am nearly half way through and finding the reading really useful, educational and feel this will defiantly help me. would recommend to all in childcare.
on 15 February 2013
Looks at child psychology and the theories of Piaget and vygotsky. I hadn't any previous psychology knowledge and found it easy to understand.
2 people found this helpful