Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 July 2014
Great book. It shines a light on the subject of having a deceitful, self obsessed, arrogant, partner, and their ability to assassinate your self worth and beliefs over time.

I related to most of its contents - the red flags, his parental influences, and even how I ended up with this muppet! I blamed myself for over 10 years for making a bad choice. It was only a few years ago that I forgave myself when I realised I had been played. Conned. Duped. Manipulated.

This book has helped me to understand why I was left feeling so betrayed by our legal system (England & Wales), and has made me start asking my solicitor and court mediators if they have experience in dealing with narcissists. (So far, those asked have declared 'none'. Worryingly my latest mediator is also a practising judge!)

It's a book I will be recommending to others. It should be a book everyone in the Family Law, Child Protection Services sectors should read.

Thank you Tina. I hope you find peace sooner rather than later.
on 29 March 2014
This book is a must for anyone who has been in a relationship with a narcissist and is only just really coming to terms with this fact. I was in this position when I read it and Tina's story and insights helped me immeasurably with so many things. I realised I was not alone in what I had experienced which was a giant comfort. I also did a lot of grieving inside of the realisation that all my efforts during my relationship (with a very mentally unwell person) were actually for nothing as Narcissistic Personality Disorder cannot be cured. There were many "Eureka!" moments during this book where everything slotted into place and I began to recognise that the patterns of behaviour I had learned to normalise were in fact anything but normal. Having spent years in a relationship with a man who has NPD my mind was well and truly messed up, and my confidence, self-esteem, happiness and sense of self had all but been destroyed. The journey home to reach the 'full self' again is proving to be a long one (for me), but this book took hundreds of miles off the road and brought the sun back up again, where before there was full darkness. For healing, insight, encouragement, advice, reminders, comfort and more, I highly recommend this wonderful book.
on 30 June 2014
Absolute God send when trying to navigate family court with a high conflict ex. This book has saved my sanity, helped me realise I am not mad or bad, and given me tools to survive the next 16 years until I am more 'free'. It should be compulsory reading at DV shelters and for judges, social services, cafcass and solicitors. Tina - I'm sorry you've experienced this but thank you so much for writing about it.
on 24 April 2013
I could really relate to this book and the author. It helped me to understand my situation more and I think it will help others to gain the courage to take that BIG step that seems so frigtening. This lady is an inspiration to all those that are in a similar situation. I could not put this book down from the time it came through my door.
on 5 November 2013
This book shows how human we all really are. Where does the blame lay, with him, with me, or the system?
With him for deceiving others.
With me for deceiving myself.
With the system for remaining ignorant.
For him there is no hope...he has a personality disorder.
For myself and the system there is always hope...through developing awareness and then behaving appropriately.
on 27 December 2013
I constantly had eureka moments reading this book, you will too. It's amazing how similar her story is to mine and many other people I know.
on 22 December 2013
Started well and some useful tips but it began to lose focus after a while. But well done for getting out of a very destructive relationship
on 4 June 2015
Always battling your ex and exasperated by his/her behaviour and lies - read this; you'll feel so much better
on 29 September 2015
Tina went to through so much and to get over NPD was a miracle that she deserved....
on 11 October 2015