Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 April 2013
If you don't like spicy, flavourful food, this book probably isn't going to do it for you, but if, like me, you love strong flavours, this book is genius. It introduced me to a completely different way to think about food and cooking. The recipes are a doddle to follow and make (if you have, or once you get cup measures!) and the book is littered with lots of great tips and advice. There's lots of different flavours and styles of food to choose from: anything between American and Middle Eastern, with every conceivable option in between. It's easy to adapt recipes to your tastes, changing the meat or removing flavours that you don't like. Plus, the ethos behind Paleo makes good nutritional sense! The only downside is that a few of the ingredients are a little tough (but not impossible) to get hold of in the UK. This is probably the best recipe / cookery book I've ever laid my hands on.
on 16 July 2013
There is nothing better than a cook book written by someone who obviously spends LOTS of time actually cooking and eating the food. The recipes in here are clearly beloved, tried and tested, and they really work. I don't eat any grains or pulses - not out of choice, but because I react very badly to them - and I am thanking God for the paleo food movement, which finally gives me a range recipes that I can eat freely. This book has a funky design, is cheefully written, and has a good range of recipes for vegetables as well as meat. I also like the guidance on getting through the week in a practical way - bulk cooking, combining different dishes, using leftovers etc. Sometimes eating without grains can feel like hard work (threre are moments when I would kill to be able to buy a quick sandwich), but it feels like Melissa Joulwan has cracked it, and it gives me inspiration to do the same.
on 20 July 2012
Love love love this recipe book. Innovative and fun to make. Unusual flavours and combinations make keeping to the paleo lifestyle easier and also meant I could keep all in the house happy and not have to cook diff meals. Buy this!! Couldn't recommend it more xx
on 17 June 2013
Ok book but very simple recipes, nothing that most people don't already cook but with a few tweaks here and there to make them paleo friendly.
Would recommend to a beginner.
on 19 April 2013
I'm usually a pretty confident cook but I've still gained heaps from this e-book. I've been getting a bit stuck in a rut with trying to make paleo dishes that are affordable. The sauces and spice combinations used with 'hot plates' have been the most useful part of the book. I haven't had a problem with sourcing ingredients in the UK except for spaghetti squash (though I use gluten-free Tamari instead of coconut aminos as soy doesn't seem to be much of an issue for me and you don't need to use much at a time). The recipes are straight forward, they've all worked for me on the first attempt (so far!) and this book has brought back a whole lot of joy to eating nutritious, delicious food with a touch of seasoning that transforms it into something fabulous! We are what we eat, but food can still be more than just fuel!

One thing to note, there is a code in the book to allow you to download it as a pdf from Melissa's blog. This says it expired in December 2012 but still worked for me in April 2013. This is really useful if you want to print some recipes to stop your computer/kindle/tablet getting dirty in the kitchen as it's difficult to print a kindle book (the paper version was too expensive for me in the UK).
on 7 March 2014
I bought this as a kindle version and have regretted it ever since.

Recipe books just don't work as well in kindle - for a start it turns itself off after a period of time and then you have to turn it on again with sticky hands.

Also the pictures etc are beautiful and lost on the kindle version.

The recipes and eating tips are really good though, so I bought well fed 2 as a book and I've cooked with it much more.
on 2 December 2012
After being Paleo for some months I felt I had to bring some new flavours to my plate and Melissa Jouwlan's small, but high quality book was a perfect choice for my first Paleo cookbook. Every recipe we've tried so far has been a resounding success, which is tremendously important given that I make all our food now from scratch, nothing pre-processed.

I wouldn't consider myself very skilled at all in the kitchen and yet Melissa's use of spices, heavily influenced by Lebanese cuisine, has allowed me to make stuff I never imagined possible. The Czech Meatballs have become a staple of our diet and the kids absolutely love them and my confidence to try all the other recipes in the books grows with every new meal. You can't go wrong IMO.
on 8 June 2013
I bought this book when I started on a whole30. It's been prize of place in my kitchen for the last 30 days, the carnitas and mayo are now weekly staples here.

Healthy, nutritious, very tasty recipes. The thing that I absolutely love are the ideas for tweaking each recipe, I find it hard to follow any recipe completely without tweaking it a little and the little guidelines and ideas on each page really helped.
on 12 June 2013
Recipes are clear and concise, especially love the best you have ever had chicken, really moist and very tasty, nom nom nom
on 15 October 2013
Let me just first explain : my partner and I are complete amateurs when it comes to cooking and since we went 'bulletproof' we needed some help! after the first week of coming home and cooking for 2 hours after a long day at work, this book with its tips and yummy recipes was such a help! we now stand and cook the whole weeks food on a Sunday it takes us way longer than suggested, but now coming home every night and eating super healthy super yummy food makes it worth it ! The only thing I would say is the garlic quantities are huge so if u are not a heavy garlic fan u will need to adjust !