on 9 July 2015
Fantastic what more can i say, i love period drama books and this is one of the ones i'd read over and over again.
on 21 January 2014
I found this a good book to read if you are familiar with the characters and setting and always enjoy the stories about the Darcys
on 1 March 2013
As a keen reader of Jane Austen i wasn't sure what to expect but i was not disappointed! Really enjoyed it! Would definitely recommend!
on 4 January 2013
I enjoyed the book however there was a few things that has annoyed me a bit - first, spelling - ms winslow has decided to use american spelling and therefore the book doesnt tie in with the original austen classic. secondly - I felt as though wickham loved elizabeth more than his own wife which again that doesnt bode well with the original story as wickham is a cold hearted individual who lusts after power and money. And thirdly - The kidnapping of elizabeth is a little far - fetched since wickham has been banned from pemberley and according to the original, has been disgraced by his behaviour to the Bennet family. All in all, I thought that this book is a good book, but the author has poorly conducted this and made it into 20th century style rather than 18th century style which in my opinion, is a little disappointing.
on 22 November 2012
If I could give this 3.5 stars I would as I did at least finish it, but I found the use of Americanisms tedious. I lived in the States for a while and there was a wonderful book in the library about understanding the world and language of Jane Austen - I think it was Myra Stokes The Language of Jane Austen: A Study of Some Aspects of her Vocabulary (1991) - and I suggest that the author finds it and reads it. Having said that this is nothing like as bad as the P D James Death comes to Pemberly that I read directly before...
on 10 June 2012
I had to give up reading this halfway through chapter 5. So disappointing.The author tries to emulate Jane's style which is what you'd expect and maybe even hope for, and to a small degree succeeds.However, she does put toomuch of a millsand boon style on the story for me which rather spoils it. Darcy and Elizabeth particularly come across as very wooden.as the author is clearlyAmerican and born in the 20th century, this doesn't helpwith the flow. Sadly it bored me
11 Comment| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 January 2013
I really wanted to like this book but the Americanism and sexing up of the characters is just so un-austen like I just couldn't enjoy it.
on 20 May 2012
Ok, the characters are familiar to some extent, though not quite so convincing and 3 dimensional as in Pride and Prejudice. The style of writing is ok, though many expressions that each character uses are reused from Pride and Prejudice rather than being original. A fun yarn though, passes the time and fun to imagine what may have happened next in Austen's story.
on 24 May 2012
I reached page 17 of chapter one and there are six American spellings so far (and one grammatical error). Is this a joke? I cannot read on. It's just awful.
on 24 December 2013
As a lover of Jane Austens books - which I have re-read many times - I was intrigued to read this book which I thoroughly enjoyed.