on 19 August 2017
How disappointing! Devoid of charm of authenticity and completely missing the mark, this is a poor successor. The social niceties of the era and class are misrepresented and too many new characters are improbably introduced to support the plot.
Avoid.
on 24 December 2013
As a lover of Jane Austens books - which I have re-read many times - I was intrigued to read this book which I thoroughly enjoyed.
on 10 January 2015
This is horrifying. The author is making a stab at emulating the style of Austen's writing but mixes in so many Americanisms and anachronisms that it makes me wince as I read. It's also clear that the writer has completely missed the mark in her understanding of the subtlty of the characters and the implicit social rules that governed their lives in Pride and Prejudice.

I really wanted to like this book but it's impossible. If you're going to write a period piece in the style of another author, do some basic research first. The editor and publisher also have a lot to answer for.
on 27 January 2013
It was fine as a story, quite a page turner, in fact. Had it not used the Pride and Prejudice "people" it would have been a ripping yarn. As a type of sequel it was a disaster.
I could not abide the archness that surrounded the sexual encounters.
The writer seemed to have little knowledge of early 19th century travel. The mail, which was considered quite fast went at 7 miles an hour. Private carriages depending on their number of horses and weight were either faster or slower than that, but not much. The fastest carriage was a sporting curricle, built for racing, and that went at 16 miles an hour, at the fastest. People did not travel from Hertfordshire to Kent for funerals.
on 12 August 2014
I read the Kindle version of this book yesterday. Yes, all in one day, very easily. It was enjoyable. I have read most of Austen's work, and certainly am a fan of the BBC (Colin Firth, Jennifer Ehle) version of the story. So nothing here needed to be explained.

Like others, I found the climactic kidnapping scene a bit hard to believe, but it didn't ruin the good read. I enjoyed spending more time with these characters, and was not overly bothered by the rather coy sexual references (I think the author did a good job of letting us know that, hey, these are married couples and they DO have sex, without going overboard to either revel in or disguise the fact.)

I guess what is missing for me is something no modern author can actually reproduce. That is the sense of time, place AND the knowledge that comes from exactly how these people would behave, and what social pressures they would have been under. I don't think it's possible for a writer in our day to capture that delicious sense of satire that Austen delivered so well.

However, all that being said, I think this book stayed true to most of the characters (Wickham excepted) that we've become fond of. And it certainly kept me entertained for an afternoon and evening. So, if you like Austen, I'd recommend it. But it's NOT Austen, so just look at it as somebody's vision of 'what happened next.' Somebody who attempted to stay true to Austen's tone as well as character, and to a large extent succeeded. As such, it works very well.
on 26 January 2014
This is quite an easy read, with none of the subtleties of the great Jane Austin, no humour or wit! happy endings all round! how twee, an insult to the intelligence of true Jane enthusiasts
on 19 August 2014
Oh dear!! If you love Jane Austen's books, and especially if you love Pride and Prejudice, don't read this!!
on 24 May 2012
I reached page 17 of chapter one and there are six American spellings so far (and one grammatical error). Is this a joke? I cannot read on. It's just awful.
on 31 October 2013
I was dubious at first about any sequel to a much loved novel, but I really enjoyed this in spite of myself! The content and further development of the characters is believable and faithful to the originals.
on 7 July 2014
Nice sequel, read easily, continues and ties up lives of other characters, and introduces a few more.... Nicely done, have bought Return to Longbourn (Part 3) on basis of this read, as it's on Kindle, it's a good one to have in the "library" for when you want a nice easy Jane Austen-sequel. A can't sleep, stuck at the airport, on a train, on the beach book. Not a PD James, but as good a sequel, in a different style. Story synopsis, doesn't need another recount as other reviewers do this well and the clue is in the title, you need to know P&P. I enjoyed.