on 20 May 2017
It seems a really useful book and I did find it useful and then I've been put off as I haven't always agreed with their interpretation of research papers on their Facebook page.I've felt a bit alarmed at this as I've got a science background and always check the research paper behind any claims. I felt people were making decisions based on research that wasnt always accurately interpreted. I have raised concerns with them. The book may however be much better edited. I've felt the interpretation was biased towards natural dessicated thyroid medication with an evangelical zeal. So read but be prepared to double check before making big decisions based on this book.
on 23 March 2017
Very good book to read
on 15 May 2017
As described
on 23 June 2009
I have been battling for the last decade to get decent medical care with regards to my hypothyroidism, and was slowly sliding deeper and deeper into the murky depths that under-treated hypothyroidism can lead to. The weight gain, the constant aches and pains, not being able to walk any distance, not being able to exercise comfortably, hating being over-weight - despite every effort to eat properly, losing my hair, having swollen legs and feet - I could go on and on. Thanks to Janie, and the thousands of others who refuse to have their voices muted, there is finally light at the end of the tunnel!

Read this book, do what it takes to get yourself better, and then make your voice heard by joining me and many others online - if we shout loud enough, we CAN stop the thyroid madness!
33 Comments| 117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 September 2016
Essential reading for anyone suffering from a thyroid condition. I would highly recommend. I wish someone had told me to buy this when I was first diagnosed hypothyroid. It would have given me the confidence to challenge and question my treatment and realise that doctors don't always get it right.
on 22 July 2016
A must read for everyone very informative!
on 25 June 2012
I read this from cover to cover within 3 hours of it being delivered and I have to say, as a UK reader, I was disappointed. It is very much focused on desiccated thryoid treatments, which are not licensed in the UK. There are sections on vitamins and foods which will be helpful wherever you live, and helpful explanations of lab tests and results, but the book mainly deals with US treatments such as Armour, the benefits of these treatments, and how to convince your (US) doctor to prescribe them. To get a UK doctor to prescribe desiccated thyroid they have to accept personal responsibility for doing so. It also costs twenty times more to treat a patient with desiccated thyroid, what do you reckon the chances are of most UK GPs agreeing to it?

As someone who was born with congenital hypopituitarism, resulting in hypothyroidism, and who has lived 32 years with the symptoms of these conditions, it's incredibly disheartening to read a book singing the praises of a treatment and then doing research and discovering that treatment is not available to you.
1313 Comments| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 July 2015
It is the most revealing book on hypothyroidsim that I have read so far. A lot of helpful information regarding thyroid diseases both hypo, hyper and Hashimotos. I am an NDT user and it has changed my life for the better. This is a must read for anyone who has thyroid issues and needs to get information for themselves.
I truly this book is saving my life.
review image
on 20 October 2010
Although the author of this book seems to know her subject and is very thorough in her research I didn't find this book as good as expected. It focuses mainly on treatments available in the USA and other countries e.g.Canada and Australia. If you are in the UK and worried about thyroid problems this book is not for you, so I wouldn't waste your money. Unfortunately I haven't found a book I can recommend for UK sufferers yet.
1818 Comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 August 2009
For anyone suffering with Thyroid problems, this book is an absolute must. I have been suffering with ME for 11 years, 7 of those in bed and it is not until you manage to get hold of this type of information that you begin to realise just how damaging adrenal failure is. Doctors tell you nothing about adrenals and basically the symptons are all ME. I now have something to work with and with the help of the book feel able to make a complete recovery.