on 17 June 2016
I loved this book from start to finish. Blind Melon were such an underrated band. You get a real sense of what it was like to be in the band and also a brilliant insight of the late Shannon Hoon (RIP). I would definitely recommend this book I couldn't stop reading it very well researched.
on 30 December 2013
Although I found the "interview" style of this book a little less preferable to normal prose, it was a thorough book to say the least. The story of Shannon Hoon and Blind Melon is followed right from the beginning and most probably gives the closest insight we will ever get into the mind of one of rock's greatest voices.
One person found this helpful
on 24 July 2016
Having been a Blind Melon fan for some time I was excited while browsing the related searches on the music bio books to find this. Highly recommended, there are countless anecdotes told by the band themselves as well as people associated with the band. I've read plenty of rock bios and this offered something fresh; rather than mass orgies, drug binges and groupies this offers a more encapsulating journey from their humble roots to stardom. RIP Shannon
on 14 August 2013
This was a present for my husband.
He loves blind melon and has found this book most interesting.
It is a definite recommendation for any blind melon fan.
on 1 January 2013
Loved the quotes, didn't love not getting to see the photos :( RIP Shannon, bring on Blind Melon in the UK please
on 10 December 2012
A very good insight into the great front man Shannon Hoon...If you love blind melons music then this is a no brainer of a read.
on 7 August 2014
I listened to the album Nico back in 96 and have been intrigued by blind melon, and Shannon Hoon ever since, only recently began wanting to read and learn more about them after hearing "no rain" whilst watching New Girl on the t.v. It reignited my interest in blind melon and made me buy this book, to be honest, I didn't love the way it's written, as a collection of memories by Shannon they rest of the band and the people close to him, but I can appreciate why it has been written this way, to give fans the total truth in the lifestyle and culture of this underrated band. As I didn't know exactly who was saying what as I wasn't a real die hard melon fan, I just became interested in them, I found it hard to understand the connection of certain individuals to Shannon, unless I wanted to go back to the beginning and check who was who. This book did give an insight into the band and the culture of the time which I enjoyed, and Blind Melon fans will love this book.
One person found this helpful
on 13 March 2015
excellent
on 30 June 2016
Would recommend this book to anyone. Great band Great book.
on 25 May 2011
OK then, here's a disclaimer before I begin. I love Blind Melon so this is going to be somewhat biased.
The booked is well researched and is made up of quotes around a variety of subjects which allows the reader to dip in and out pretty easily. That said, I was in hospital so read the book in a day. Unlike many band biographies except for the Shannon Hoon quotes (and a couple of others) this is new material gathered by the author. It is insightful and thoughtful and well recommended.
My only criticism is that he should have had a proof reader who knows the difference between affect and effect.
3 people found this helpful