on 19 February 2016
Very thorough research from the authors, explanations are very clear (some of the science was a bit too advanced for me so I just skipped through it but people who want to understand the science behind nutrition will definitely get their money's worth).
I started reading a lot about nutrition after being diagnosed with several food allergies and this book is the one that helped me the most. It's giving general explanations as well as very specific steps that can be implemented to reach better health through better eating.
It really helps clarifying a lot of issues, especially since we are bombarded all around with conflicting messages (vegan, paleo, no gluten, fat free, calory counting etc etc). I recommend it to everybody I meet who is interested in nutrition.
on 2 June 2017
If either think you are eating healthy by reducing your fat intake and plenty of fruit etc. or you are regularly eating fried foods then you need to read this......it is an eye opener. We have been fed the wrong information our whole lives and this needs to change. Let me put it to you like this.....if you have a cigarette (which we all know is bad for you), this will stop you blood vessels from functioning properly for around 4 hours, now, if you have a bowl of deep fried chips, this will stop your blood vessels working for around 24 hours. The doctors don't tell you about that!
on 2 June 2016
This I found marvellous. I'm a keen student of this whole area for a few years, being a retired doctor with time on my hands. Much of what she recommends I've already implemented before reading the book with great benefit to my health, but there's so much more astounding material in this book on epigenetics, dietary history, the benefit of eating material from connective tissue etc.
For someone interested in this area, this book is a must read. Full stop. It's very well written as well. You won't read it quickly as it's full of info.
on 28 June 2017
Makes a lot of sense. Not an easy read but the book has much good information. It explains the complexity of lipid biochemistry in terms that the non scientist can understand.
I am now much more aware of what we are eating as a family, and implementing changes to our diet that I hope will benefit us long term.
on 6 June 2017
Excellent Book, in dept information about our diet and it's relationship with all
that is bad with what we eat, so much advice on how to change. Dr. Shanahan
explains in dept this Book is a must read for Doctors and anyone involved in
food science and what we have been eating.
on 26 May 2017
Amazing good.Lots of info makes so much sense
on 30 April 2013
Catherine Shanahan is a Dr in Hawaii who noticed that the older generations are healthier that the younger ones. Grandma is fitter than her grandchildren. Dr Shanahan investigated the possible reasons and concluded that the older generation were raised eating meat, especially offal and meat on the bone. They also ate sprouted grains and raw milk. They didn't eat processed foods, much sugar or refined carbohydrates.

She says that it is not the number of calories you consume that decides your weight, but what they're from. Thus sugar will cause you to put on more fat than eating fat. In fact eating fat is good as your body needs it so. I put this to the test and ate meat, vegetables, offal, raw milk and sprouted grains but very little carbohydrate - I lost a stone without counting a single calorie. Then I was tempted by the smell of coffee and the sight of an almond croissant, but it was good while it lasted.

I was slightly dubious about her claim that beauty is dependent on following her dietary advice, and some of the pictures she gave as proof of her theory seemed (to me) to contradict it. She says round faces are beautiful (which they are) while long faces are not (which isn't true) then shows pictures of super-models with long faces. And I personally think Prince Harry is better looking than Prince William, even if he is the second son.

A good book to accompany this is the cookery book "Nourishing Traditions"
on 3 February 2013
I personally think they go a little lightly over things like grains and legumes, with regards to both toxins/irritants and (lack of) nutrient density - but on the other hand they bring some very interesting observations/hypothesis' to the the table - which I haven't seen mentioned before - it wouldn't necessarily be my first choice for a book on nutrition - but it is a hell of a good second choice - as there things in here you won't easily find other places
22 Comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 February 2013
This book had changed the way I eat!

You must read it and decide for yourself. Unless you are already one of the enlightened, it will more-than-likely change the way you think about food and may change the food you eat for the rest of your life.

I'm not kidding!
on 21 August 2011
In the first part of the book I was initially put off by the heavy emphasis on conventional beauty, and not entirely convinced by the concept of "second sibling syndrome" where the author tries to demonstrate how an oldest child grabs the best nutrition (and therefore looks and health) from its mother. The photographs of "ideal" faces reminded me of the nasty final chapter of an old Nazi biology textbook I once saw, with its photos of ideal Aryans! Still, maybe this stuff will be popular with people who want their kids to be film stars, and convince them to read the rest.

Once the author got on to nutrition proper, I found the book, which is well-referenced with recent research, more convincing. Like several other authors over the last 10 years or so, she neatly dismisses the prevailing ideology of "low-fat good, animal fat bad" which is still being trotted out by the government and food industry. A lot of similar information can be found in Sally Fallon's book "Nourishing Traditions" (essentially a recipe book) and the Weston-Price foundation website, and in "Trick and Treat" by Barry Groves. "Deep nutrition" completes the picture by looking in more depth at how what you eat affects not just you, but your children, and even grandchildren.

I'm still not convinced that William is better looking than Harry just because he's got a big jaw!
33 Comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse