on 31 May 1999
This book explains everything in extreme detail. it doesn't just say "right - type this type that and your computer is safe" it helps you think about what the best plan for security is by targeting individual threats. it was just one of the clearest and well explained books I have ever read, i wasn't confused by any of the chapters because it was all so well explained!!!
on 2 January 2016
I am preparing for an IT security audit of enterprise UNIX systems. I had limited understanding of UNIX prior to reading this book. However I feel more confident now - the book provides an understandable description of the basic concepts, goes into sufficient detail and compares the different versions at an acceptable level. This book helped me loads in preparing for the audit, recommended for the whole team to read.
on 9 April 2000
This is second best book I have ever read. Very hard to put down. This book has helped me with my internet and unix security. A must read for all Internet and Unix users
on 26 December 1999
This book goes into UNIX 'security' in excellent detail. Whilst a lack of gloss and colour make the 1000 pages heavy going, the information that is included between the covers certainly covers the topic in hand and goes into great detail in the areas which really count. As Jamie says, the lengthy explanations of all topics covered mean you get a great understanding of all aspects of security, from the firewall to UNIX password cryptography to risk assessment. Having said that, 'newer' areas of security, such as next gen IDS and PKIs are missing, and an updated volume would be welcomed (please)
on 20 December 1999
In a world where security means everything, this book covers how to secure your server against the various hackers lurking out there. By various I do not mean to play it down, from one popular mailing list alone, over 600 web sites were defaced in a single month! If you don't want the same to happen to yours, it's books like these that will teach you the know-how!
on 10 April 2000
I loved this book, it now sits in my Computer library as one of my favourite books. The usage of diagrams inside the book increases the readers enjoyment. Worth a look.
on 6 February 2015
I have only read part of this book and it was an eye opener. Even thogh it was an older book, much of what it says is appiable today. I can warmly recommend this book.