Customer reviews

2,753
Format: School & Library Binding|Change

on 13 March 2014
Sorry but I could fill a few pages with praise for this series by Diana Gabaldon. She is a master writer and commands all my respect.
Dragonfly in Amber is brilliant as is the whole series of Outlander. There is too much content within each book to give an accurate and complete critique:
,However if you like amazing and complicated characters tension,adventure, tears and laughter delivered with twists and turns that paint a larger than life picture you won't be disappointed. Add two amazing main characters Jamie and Clare who you will both laugh and cry with throughout their incredible journey and you have an amazing read.
on 12 May 2016
I am now re-reading this series of books by Diana Gabaldon, this time on my Kindle. Dragonfly in Amber is an excellent read, full of twists and turns and a continuing account of the love and adventures of when Claire walked through the standing stones and found herself in the 1700's and her meeting with Jamie who became the love of her life. Intriguing stuff indeed..
on 13 April 2015
I never expected to love this book as much as I did and to fly through the 863 pages . I admit I only started to read it after I'd been recommended to watch the Tv series, which I did and enjoyed it so much I wanted to see if the book was as good. The tv series does stay true to the book which is probably why it's so good. Not at all chick lit in fact some parts are quite graphic. Highly recommended simply as a great story. Now straight on to second book in the series.....
on 18 July 2017
Was introduced to the TV series which was brilliant, looking forward to the third series. Whilst waiting for the latest series, I bought this to read on holiday and wasn't disappointed, gripping read and will definitely be downloading the others that follow
on 23 August 2013
I was recommended to read this book when I went to Canada and I didn't like the sound of it when the story was explained. Boy, was I wrong..... The person that recommended it to me handed me a copy of this book at the airport (on the way home). I read it on the plane and I was captured by it from the first chapter. Diana is an amazing writer and really knows how to draw you in to her storylines. I felt as if I was there in person within the book it was so detailed and really captured my mind. I have since read 8 books (following on from this one) and all I can say is that any readers that buy these books are in for a treat. My dad, family and friends have all borrowed my books and have also said what an amazing writer Diana is!!!!!!!!! :-)
on 12 August 2016
An amazing story that is brutal and barbaric, yet tender and loving. A great read which opens up a world of the pas with great clarity. This is the second tomeI have read this book, the first time as a paperback, I could not put it down. Now my kindle and I have been joined at the hip for a couple of week. You really should read it.
on 7 April 2015
I was sent this book from my book club as a book to try ,several years ago I was hooked from day one and have read every book and off shoot books in this series. I decided to start them over again as I now can read then one after another ,without having to wait for the next to be published. And the cherry on the cake was to find that a TV series had been made , it is brilliant and in keeping with the book . Can't wait for the next episode. A brilliant read for both men and women highly recommended.
on 14 August 2017
I am a huge Outlander fan, the writing is superb - very descriptive, you really feel like you are living 200 years ago. Also, very well researched, full of interesting detail on everyday life. A wonderful love story with a hero to die for.
on 9 September 2017
Have read this saga before but as it was so good and watching it televised I am reading it again. It is a very good story and most enjoyable. I haven't finished the first book uet but intend to read all the others as the story is magic.
on 27 April 2015
How much more detail can Diana cram into a book? The construction of the place in which the story takes place, sounds, smells fabrics, food everything that takes you into the space that her story occupies almost makes you exist in it. The story is strong and spell binding but the whole compass of the book makes this compelling reading. One of the best books I've ever read. I read it again and again for the sheer pleasure of it's vision.