Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 August 1998
I found myself nodding at several of the examples and applauding the suggestions. Although I knew my stepdaughters for 4 years before my marriage to their father, I realized that both they and I needed guidance as we navigated our own changes over time (they will be entering their pre-teen years very soon). It is heartening to learn that other women have experienced the same feelings I have. I will give this book to every new stepmom I come across.
on 22 October 1998
This book made me feel good about myself and my role as a stepmother with countless reassuring examples on how to handle this challenging lifestyle. Cherie Burns helps explain how to handle every situation such as discipline,guilt, husbands, and family life. I thoroughly recommend this book to all stepmothers to read!
on 3 May 1998
I really enjoyed this book. The author focused on the realities of becoming a step-mother (instant motherhood). She examined dealing with an evil ex-wife and exposed new step-mother fantasies. She is direct to the point, honest and understanding. I reccomend this book to any step-mom.
on 20 January 1999
My husband and I read this book together and discussed along the way. It has helped me out immensley and has given my husband an appreciation for how difficult being a stepmom can be. I strongly recommend this book to anyone who feels "less than perfect" in their new role!
on 26 November 2007
This book is very easy to read. As the part time "carer" for my partners 2 children I found this very practical and I didn't find it "preachy" or too "touchy feely" for me. It really has helped me to realise that a lot of the mixed emotions I've been experiencing are normal and that I'm not a hard hearted monster because I feel jealous or unappreciated.

In order to try to get my partner to appreciate and understand my emotions I have urged him to read this book too. This book is opening his eyes to a lot of experiences that hadn't even crossed his mind and he's the parent!!

We both thouroughly recommend this book to EVERONE with links to the "stepfamily".
on 31 May 2009
This is the kind of book that helps you to realise and understand just what is hapening to you. It gives context and the experiences of others in similar and sadly worse situations and provides that comforting 'your not alone' feeling. It contained many incites and tips for coping and has helped me to approach the task of stepmothering from a new perspective. If you are struggling with stepmotherhood then its a must read.
on 9 July 1998
This book will make any new stepmom or setpmom-to-be feel that they are not alone, it's OK to feel confused and upset in the unique sitations that stepparents find themselves in, and you can deal with it and retain your sanity. I lend it to all my friends who are stepmoms.
on 17 September 2010
This book is written from the point of view of a woman with no children taking on someone else's children. I already have my own children and now have three more and from this point of view the book didn't really cover the areas I hoped it would.
on 10 June 2010
After reading the other reviews, I felt that this book was the best one to start with to help me. However, I found it skimmed through all the different perspectives without actually answering my questions, so im going to try another book instead...
on 21 December 1998
A realistic and practical overview of the challenges and frustrations that stepmothers often face. The author offers creative solutions to conflicts and comfort in the knowledge that the reader is not alone in their situation.