Customer reviews

on 6 August 2017
Very good book, never thought Gene as humourious had me laughing at times very good read.
on 29 October 2017
Great read
on 14 August 2017
Very good book
on 14 February 2014
Ok read overall but after liking KISS for over 25 years I didn't learn anything new. Promised much but delivered little. Skimmed over later albums and didn't answer anymore questions about Vinnie Vincent's departure etc
VINE VOICEon 9 January 2007
I first learned about Gene Simmons from his "Family Jewels" TV show, which I liked. It showed him to be a loving family man and I was curious to know more, so I listened to the audio book, "Kiss and Make-up." It was fascinating. One needn't be a fan to appreciate his hard work and unprecedented success. He was born in Israel and came with his mother to America at age 9. As a boy he loved superhero comic books, because superheros were powerful, and that is what he wanted to be. He had the boundless love and encouragement of his mother and started playing in bands as a teenager. One thing led to another and his Kiss band became a worldwide phenomenon.

He devotes much of the book to his legendary conquests of women, from groupies to Cher and Diana Ross. His relationships with bandmates is also discussed at length. His reading voice is a monotone, but the story is so interesting that one hangs on his every word. A tireless businessman and entertainer, Simmons has truly aquired the power he always wanted. This is a must for Gene's old fans and for new fans, like me.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 February 2010
Gene simmons is at times a conceited,arrogant,sexist,thoroughly dislikeable human being but his story is truly inspiring.From the ashes of tragedy thru humble origins,his rise to the top is to be admired.A strength and belief in his own indestructability,a bit like the super hereos he loves so much,comes thru in waves all thru this book,his contempt for bandmates Frehley and Criss at times can be disappointing and in Frehleys case a little ugly and unneccessary.However for all that this is a damn good read.
on 22 March 2007
Well, let's face it, Gene Simmons' was ALWAYS gong to write an autobiography! I've never known a more self centred person but what a story!

Found the stuff about his early childhood in Israel interesting and the development of KISS was intriguing. When Kiss were at their zenith I think I was listening to 'Aha' but then I'm glad I didn't come to this book as a KISS fan. I came to it with an open mind and enjoyed it for what it was. I have since listened to some of their music and enjoyed that too. I still can't erase the thought that he's just a 'mummy's boy' who likes dressing up like his comic book superheroes (I wouldn't say that to his face though!) but he's done bloody well out of it!

This is one of the best books I've read in a long time. If you don't come away inspired to either buy KISS records or to make loads of money then you're not as easily persuaded as me! It's a cracking read, even if you're not a KISS fan (which I wasn't, until now!)
on 21 June 2010
A great read from start to finish, starting from humble beginnings in Israel to being a Rock God in the hottest band in the world! I'd recommend this to any Kiss fan.
on 28 November 2013
This book is amazing - it's so good to learn more about one of my idols; because I'm still a teenager, I never got to live the KISS era like my Dad did, and this book entered me straight into it and i felt as if i was there with Gene and the band. There are a lot of sexual references in this book, just to warn you, but i found it all rather intriguing. Overall, this is a vey good book and i would definitely recommend to not only KISS ARMY members, but to people that are up for an interesting read too. 5*!
on 1 August 2011
Anyone of a certain age who grew up with this kind of music must remember the first time they clapped eyes on KISS. Personally it was the I Love it Loud video and I was stunned. Fascinating book, well worth a read, it covers Gene's life but also serves as a document of what is was like to be in KISS.