on 1 October 2001
Valley of the Dolls changed my life and I must admit when receiving..."Shadow of the Dolls" I didn't expect much, infact I wasn't even going to read it until curiosity got the better of me! (or maybe it was the fabulous pink cover !!) A few too many liberties where taken with characters ages and details for my liking and any VOD fan will spot them immediately but overall it was fun to catch up with them again. I do not believe that this book was based on manuscripts written by Miss Susann before her death as the cover claims (and I know I am not alone in this thinking) but Rae Lawrence has captured her spirit and given our favourite characters a new lease of life. Shadow of the Dolls doesn't pack a punch likes its prequel and contains none of the shock or scandal that Jacqueline injected into her books and rocked the world with. It will never be a "blockbuster" of the old Susann tradition but will introduce a new generation to a group of characters that helped the sixties swing.
on 28 January 2013
The book "Shadow of the dolls" written by author Rae Lawrence was a book I wanted to read. I had read the book "Valley of the dolls" by J Sussann many years ago several times and always enjoyed it. The movie was good but as always a bit different from the book. I wanted to read the sequel. The book was interesting and held my attention, but if it had been a proper sequel the ages of Anne, Jen, and Neely and Lyon would have put them at a pensionable age ! So Miss Lawrence had to make them younger to try to get a more up to date story.

The part that I think spoiled it for me without giving too much away was the story about Gretchen ! Miss Lawrence need NOT have brought Gretchen back into the story under another name, a person who had lived a very unbelievable lifestyle which I though was a bit silly and rather trashy. Miss Lawrence let her imagination run a bit wild here and as a reader it seemed stupid and rather silly and spoiled part of the story. I think the writer of this book ought to do a rewrite and think up something more believable, as in my opinion this part of the book was rather "daft". It puts me in mind of a perfectly good book that I read many years ago by Harold Robbins called "The Lonely lady. Robbins spoiled the end of the book..what he wrote was just stupid trashy and silly and it wasted a good ending of the book. Miss Lawrence spoils the part where a character called Gretchen comes back under a different name ! As I read this part I thought to myself "What a load of bull !"
on 12 June 2007
I LOVED Jacqueline Susann's "Valley of the Dolls", so I was very eager to read this sequel written by Rae Lawrence.

Reading this book as a follow-up to "Valley of the Dolls" might be confusing, due to the change of time and dates in this book.

But I got over it, and I'm fine with the updates.

But had Rae Lawrence changed the names of the characters here, this book could easily stand on it's own feet. And been seen as an updated version of "Valley of the Dolls", instead of a sequel.

Anyway, I enjoyed reading this book, but it left me with one question in mind: Why doesn't Anne need to go to rehab???
on 3 April 2013
It started off really good but got slightly bored with the sameness however it is a goodd read for valley fans
on 4 February 2015
It was as described and a very prompt service
on 16 September 2014